Scalia: No Right to 'Homosexual Conduct' in Constitution
BY Trudy Ring
June 22 2013 10:09 PM ET
Addressing the North Carolina Bar Association in Asheville Friday, Supreme Court justice Antonin Scalia said — unsurprisingly — that judges are in error when they find rights to “homosexual conduct” or abortion in the Constitution.
In his speech, titled “Mullahs of the West: Judges as Moral Arbiters,” the ultraconservative Scalia said he believes in interpreting the Constitution as it would have been when it was adopted, the Asheville Citizen-Times reports. At that time, he said, abortion, assisted suicide, and homosexual acts “were criminal throughout the United States and remained so for several centuries.”
He was “sorry to say” that the Supreme Court, in the second half of the 20th century, began seeing the Constitution as a living, evolving document. “About nine terms ago, we held laws against private consensual sodomy, laws that existed in perfect conformity with the Constitution for over 200 years, to be impermissible,” he said.
He also said “unelected judges” are no more qualified than anyone else to make decisions about moral issues “for the entire society.”
With the court set to issue two rulings on marriage equality, most likely within the next week, there is little doubt that Scalia will vote against same-sex couples’ right to marry — even though he stated earlier this year that he had never expressed an opinion on the subject.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- New York Officials Demand Olympic Sponsors Take Action
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! December 05 2013 7:57 PM
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport December 05 2013 7:33 PM
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip December 05 2013 7:12 PM
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! December 05 2013 6:54 PM
- No More Bullying WATCH: It Gets Better Speaks to Russian LGBT Youth December 05 2013 6:33 PM
- World News LGBT Rights Are 'Essential Part' of U.S. Foreign Policy, Says Susan Rice December 05 2013 6:15 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge Expected to Rule on Utah Marriage Ban Early Next Year December 05 2013 6:00 PM