2-Year-Old Assaulted in Fla. Walmart for Wearing Pink Headband
BY Jase Peeples
August 05 2013 7:21 PM ET
When Katie Vyktoriah let her two-year-old son, Dexter, wear a headband with a pink flower into Walmart in Polk County, Fla., she had no idea her trip to the retail giant would end with a frightening altercation.
While the two were shopping with Vyktoriah's five-month-old in tow, an unknown man approached the family, shocked to hear Vyktoriah confirm to some teenage girls that Dexter was, indeed, a boy.
"The man was overly large with a bushy beard and a camouflage shirt with the arms cut off," writes Vyktoriah. "He had tattered shorts and lace-up work boots with no laces. I could smell the fug of cigarette smoke surrounding him, and there was a definite pong of beer on him."
That's when the man walked up to Dexter, tore the headband off his head, and slapped the child on the back of the head, saying “You’ll thank me later, little man!”
When Vyktoriah placed herself between her son and the man and told him not to touch her child, the assailant told Vyktoriah, "Your son is a fucking faggot,” before walking away and adding, “He’ll get shot for it one day.”
Read the complete, horrifying story as Vyktoriah originally posted it to the website A Mother Thing on the following page.
- BREAKING: Supreme Court: Kentucky Clerk Must Issue Marriage Licenses
- 5 HIV-Positive Men Give Advice to Their Former Selves
- Op-ed: Jazz Jennings Is TV's Unsung Trans Heroine
- WATCH: Miley Cyrus Features LGBT Youth and Drag Queens in VMA's Closing Number
- STUDY: One-Third of Israelis Are Bisexual
- Pride at Work Tells HRC: ‘Enough Is Enough’