9 Tales of Young Love and Old Memories
BY Daniel Reynolds
August 29 2013 5:00 AM ET
Andy Segal, 67
A native Angeleno, Andy Segal was 17 years old and caring for a 4-month-old son fathered by her first boyfriend when she came out as a lesbian. Segal, a former receptionist at the Park La Brea housing complex, recalls being asked to dance at a party as a major turning point in her life.
"I thought it was a guy that asked me to dance, so I got up," says Segal. "And all of a sudden, she spoke, and I was like, whoa. I was just drawn to her. And once she brought me out, I knew that I was complete."
After her experience at the party, Segal began going on dates with women. While on one of these dates in a park in Los Angeles, Segal first saw her "other half."
"She was playing softball, and so she noticed me. I was shy, very shy. And so, a couple of days later, I went to Joani Presents," she recounts, referring to a North Hollywood lesbian bar popular in the 1960s and '70s. "And she was in there. She had a friend of hers, Bobby, come up to me and get my phone number. And we talked on the phone every day. ... And I saw her right away. I just really liked her, and we stayed together until she died, which was about 2005. But we raised my son together."
She united with her partner, Barbara Roe, whom she affectionately called "Skid," in a 1972 wedding ceremony officiated by Rev. Troy Perry, the founder of the Metropolitan Community Church. Afterward, they and their friends celebrated at Joani Presents, the bar where they first officially met. The couple would repeat the service with Perry exactly 25 years later.
"It was a beautiful relationship," says Segal, whose partner died four years ago. "I was very, very blessed."
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: What's the Next Hot Destination? 6 min 18 sec ago
- Internet WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas? 36 min 15 sec ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Glenn Beck Has Gay Friends, So He's Not Intolerant 41 min 24 sec ago
- Women Op-ed: Remembering Mandela 1 hour 22 min ago
- Marriage Equality Illinois Family Institute Compares Marriage Equality to Junk Food 2 hours 4 min ago
- Year in Review 11 Great New Tech Gifts UPDATED: 2 hours 5 min ago
- People Lady Gaga Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics 2 hours 26 min ago