Gay Vandals Attack Conservative Oregon Church
BY Neal Broverman
April 25 2012 6:20 PM ET
A gay rights group took responsibility for a recent attack on a church in Portland known for its homophobic tenets.
At least six vandals dressed in black were spotted breaking century-old stained-glass windows at the Mars Hill Church in southeast Portland. The Seattle-based church is known as unwavering in its beliefs that gay people are sinners.
"It saddens us that some folks feel they had to vandalize our space to be heard. But we wish them no ill will," lead pastor Tim Smith told the local media.
Some LGBT people helped with the clean-up and tried to use the attack as an opportunity to start a dialogue with the church.
"The fact that we are actually meeting with one another and know one another, I feel, sincerely, that we are beginning to understand one another in a completely different way," Rev. Nathan Meckley, of the gay-friendly Metropolitan Community Church, said. Read more here.
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina
- Hot Sheet: A New Quiver
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- Gay Women - News & Culture for Lesbian, Bisexual, and Trans Women
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant March 15 2014 11:57 AM
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda March 15 2014 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina March 15 2014 4:00 AM