Kids Say the Darndest LGBT Things
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
April 24 2013 5:47 PM ET
Fellow teachers, students, and union members took to the streets to march in memory of Lucy Meadows, a 32-year-old transgender teacher in Lancashire, England, who was found dead in March after being harassed by the media after she came out as transgender. Among the supporters was 7-year-old Daisy Moreton, a student of student of Meadows at St Mary Magdalen's. According to Pink News, Moreton's poem about her former teacher, read as follows:
Makes you happy/ In high spirits /Smiles/ Said kind things
Made us feel good/ Ever helpful/ Always nice/ Delightful
One of a kind
Meanwhile across the pond, a fourth grader penned a charmingand heartfelt essay on why gay people should be allowed to get married. Posted on Reddit and HRC's blog, the best line includes this gambit: "It doesn't matter if it creeps you out. Just get over it."
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- PHOTOS: Explore Genderqueer and Other Genders Beyond the Binary
- Op-ed: The Decade Masturbation Burst Out of the Closet Before I Did
- Op-ed: What If Stonewall Happened Now?
- Mississippi Marriage Ban Struck Down
- Smoke Signals' Gay Actor Turned Doctor Lands New Career-Defining Role