Anheuser-Busch Threatens UFC Over Derogatory Language
BY Michelle Garcia
April 27 2012 7:34 PM ET
Ultimate Fighting Championship sponsor Anheuser-Busch is asking the mixed martial arts organization to tone down homophobic and sexist language being used by fighters and commentators.
Brass at Anheuser-Busch have expressed displeasure with UFC fighters' remarks and threatened to take action if changes are not made, Ad Age reports. A statement from the company said Anheuser-Busch "embraces diversity and does not condone insensitive and derogatory comments rooted in ethnicity, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, etc."
According to Ad Age, some of the acts of aggression include fighter "Rampage" Jackson telling a Japanese fan to say, "I'm a fag," and one fighter making a joke out of the scandal involving Penn State coach Jerry Sandusky by telling another, "I'm going to put those hands on you worse than that dude did them other kids at Penn State." Joe Rogan, who provides commentary for some of the events, allegedly used a sexist slur against mixed martial arts blogger Maggie Hendricks.
A statement from UFC leaders said that inappropriate or insensitive comments from a handful of fighters do not reflect the organization as a whole or its values.
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM