Knicks' Amare Stoudemire Fined for Antigay Tweet
BY Trudy Ring
June 27 2012 2:02 PM ET
The NBA has fined New York Knicks star Amare Stoudemire $50,000 for using an antigay slur as well as profanity in a Twitter message to a fan.
NBA executive Stu Jackson announced the fine Tuesday and called Stoudemire’s tweet offensive and derogatory, the Associated Press reports.
Last Saturday, after a fan identified as Brian Ferrelli had tweeted Stoudemire “you better come back a lot stronger and quicker to make up for this past season mannnnnn deadasss!!!” the player responded with “Fuck you. I don’t have to do any thing fag.” Ferrelli posted a screen shot of the private exchange, and Stoudemire apologized to Ferrelli the next day, tweeting, “No Excuses. Won’t happen again.”
Tuesday, Stoudemire issued a statement offering a further apology. “I am a huge supporter of civil rights for all people,” he said. “I am disappointed in myself for my statement to a fan. I should have known better and there is no excuse.”
To demonstrate that he has been the target of bigotry, Stoudemire retweeted a disturbing message he received from an anonymous account. It contained racist and antigay terms and suggested that he be lynched.
The NBA has taken actions previously against players using antigay language. Last year it fined Joakim Noah of the Chicago Bulls $50,000 for yelling an antigay slur at a fan and Kobe Bryant of the Los Angeles Lakers $100,000 for using one toward a referee.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Arts & Entertainment Week in Beef: Ben Cohen, Frank Ocean, Hugh Jackman, and More Shirtless Celebs May 19 2013 6:02 PM
- Sports Griner: Baylor Coach Enforced Closet Policy May 19 2013 5:59 PM
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech May 19 2013 2:03 PM
- Hate-crimes WATCH: Vigil for Hate Crime Victim Mark Carson May 19 2013 1:01 PM
- Comedy WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression May 19 2013 12:39 PM
- Television WATCH: Did Stefon Marry Seth Meyers or Anderson Cooper? May 19 2013 12:32 PM
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM