Greg Louganis Subject of New Documentary
BY Jeremy Kinser
August 19 2012 2:10 PM ET
Back on Board, an upcoming documentary about four-time Olympics gold medal winner Greg Louganis, will chronicle his journey from diving prodigy to HIV spokesman.
Director Cheryl Furjanic and producer Will Sweeney recently followed the sports icon to London to record his mentoring U.S. divers during the Olympics.While there, Louganis spoke to Queerty's Lawrence Ferber, saying “So much has changed. We started [shooting] last year and I was just getting back into diving. Now, I’m in London, and an athlete mentor. So many twists and turns. Going through different phases of life. From where I was after Breaking the Surface, and what happened there, to where I am today it’s been a powerful experience.”
The filmmakers hope to get their film finished and released by 2013, which will mark the 25th anniversary of Louganis's incredible performance in the 1988 Olympic Games. They are still short of the funding needed to complete their documentary and have set August 22 as their goal. Visit their Kickstarter campaign here.
Watch Furjanic and Sweeney discuss their documentary below.
- San Diego Mourns Third Trans Teen to Die by Suicide
- Teen Jerusalem Pride Marcher Dies From Stabbing
- Texas Gay Man, 32, Dies in Custody After Being Denied Medication
- Op-ed: Why I Unfriended My Mother
- The True Meaning of the Word 'Cisgender'
- Greg Louganis on Caitlyn Jenner: 'We All Have Our Own Journeys'