University of Virginia Students Fight For More Tolerant Song
BY Michelle Garcia
September 29 2012 12:19 PM ET
Students from the University of Virginia are calling for an end to the student-led tradition of inserting the word "not" before the word "gay" in its traditional fight song.
The student council unanimously passed a resolution, urging the campus community to stop singing "not gay" during the "Good Ol' Song," five years after the Queer and Allied Activism group first raised the issue. The group's explanation, according to the Cavalier Daily student newspaper, was that the insertion started to become audible during televised football games.
Allen Groves, dean of students, called the chant "juvenile" and embarrassing, and Eric McDaniel, the student-sponsor of the bill said the chant was "a relic of hate from a time of intolerance that we have more than progressed past."
Outsports reports that students have made the addition to the song since the 1970s.
The Cavalier Daily's editorial staff also urged students to drop the addition to the "Good Ol' Song."
"Certainly there is a right to be ignorant; to have one’s views and shout them too," they wrote. "But the addition of “not gay” does not even express this. It says only that Virginia isn’t gay — which isn’t true, given demographics and the fact that a Charlottesville Pride Festival happened Saturday. 'Not gay' is also not funny or clever or in any way cool."
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Game of Thrones Video Game Announced
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Women WATCH: Ellen Will Tell You if She and Portia Are Getting Divorced! 1 hour 5 min ago
- Media Game of Thrones Video Game Announced 1 hour 10 min ago
- World News Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance' 1 hour 16 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Whet Your Appetite for Gay Polo's Biggest Event 1 hour 18 min ago
- The Wedding Channel Coast Guard Academy Sees First Same-Sex Engagement Announcement 1 hour 22 min ago
- Television Behind The Candelabra Leads Golden Globes' TV Awards With 4 Noms 2 hours 5 min ago
- Comedy WATCH: Billy Eichner and Amy Poehler Have Aggressive Christmas Spirit 11:17 AM