University of Virginia Students Fight For More Tolerant Song
BY Michelle Garcia
September 29 2012 1:19 PM ET
Students from the University of Virginia are calling for an end to the student-led tradition of inserting the word "not" before the word "gay" in its traditional fight song.
The student council unanimously passed a resolution, urging the campus community to stop singing "not gay" during the "Good Ol' Song," five years after the Queer and Allied Activism group first raised the issue. The group's explanation, according to the Cavalier Daily student newspaper, was that the insertion started to become audible during televised football games.
Allen Groves, dean of students, called the chant "juvenile" and embarrassing, and Eric McDaniel, the student-sponsor of the bill said the chant was "a relic of hate from a time of intolerance that we have more than progressed past."
Outsports reports that students have made the addition to the song since the 1970s.
The Cavalier Daily's editorial staff also urged students to drop the addition to the "Good Ol' Song."
"Certainly there is a right to be ignorant; to have oneâ€™s views and shout them too," they wrote. "But the addition of â€śnot gayâ€ť does not even express this. It says only that Virginia isnâ€™t gay â€” which isnâ€™t true, given demographics and the fact that a Charlottesville Pride Festival happened Saturday. 'Not gay' is also not funny or clever or in any way cool."
- Pastor: Homosexuals Bully Straights
- Op-ed: Flying While Trans
- Dallas Councilwoman Objects to "Homosexual Conduct" in HIV Testing Billboard
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Study: Same-Sex Couples Suffer Discrimination in Rental Market
- Latest News
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland June 18 2013 6:24 PM
- Entertainment News How To Take Down An Anti-Gay 'Victim' June 18 2013 6:06 PM
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: Perez Hilton Vs. Inflatable Alligator June 18 2013 6:00 PM
- Entertainment News One Direction: Caught Twerkingâ€”and in Calvins June 18 2013 5:44 PM