Former MLB Pitcher: Stay in the Closet, Gay Teammates
BY Trudy Ring
March 01 2013 9:06 PM ET
Gay athletes should stay in the closet in the name of team solidarity, says former major league baseball pitcher Mark Knudson.
In a column published Thursday on website Mile High Sports, Knudson says gay athletes will inevitably be attracted to some teammates, and realizing they’re the object of attraction will make straight teammates uncomfortable. It will become the source of “internal strife and locker room drama,” says Knudson, who pitched eight years in the majors, for the Houston Astros, Milwaukee Brewers, and Colorado Rockies.
“That’s why it remains the best option for any homosexual athlete in a team sport to keep his orientation private,” Knudson writes. “He’s doing what’s best for himself by doing what’s best for the team.”
USA Today sportswriter Ted Berg, however, takes apart Knudson’s logic. “If there are in fact closeted gay guys in the clubhouse who can’t keep their eyes off super-hot teammates like Mark Knudson … then what difference does it make if the gay teammates are out or not? Wouldn’t Knudson, as an attractive person, know either way?” Berg writes. “So it seems like his actual suggestion, then, is not that gay baseball players keep their sexuality to themselves so much as that gay baseball players just not be gay.”
He adds, “To me, it doesn’t seem like it’s in the spirit of so-called ‘teamness’ to ask a teammate to live in fear of rejection and to shoulder the internal damage caused by secrets.”
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Bryan Singer Announces News for Next X-Men Film
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- PHOTOS: Brazilian Couples Get Married En Masse
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 0 sec ago
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 3 min 49 sec ago
- Politics Gay Former Republican Congressman Condemns Interparty Discrimination 3:07 PM
- World News Putin Tightens Grip on Kremlin-Run News Agencies 3:02 PM
- Film Redbox Picks Up Bridegroom Despite Rule Against Documentaries 2:53 PM
- Travel Super Seniors of the Palm Springs Follies Prepare for the End 2:49 PM
- Film Bryan Singer Announces News for Next X-Men Film 2:49 PM