Trans Golfer Says She Shouldn't Compete Against Women Her Own Age
BY Clea Kim
March 13 2013 6:28 PM ET
The 62-year-old transgender golfer Bobbi Lancaster is aspiring to compete on the LGPA Tour. But according to an article in the The Arizona Republic, the golfer says she should not be permitted to compete against women in her age group and that younger golfers are more suitable competition.
“In my own humble opinion, I think it's very fair that I'm playing against the caliber of players I'm trying to play against, because I have no advantage there”, Lancaster said. “But for me to be allowed to play against women my age, I have a huge advantage. It's not fair. And that's why I'm probably not playing against them, because I just feel like I have undue advantage with my length. And I was a male, exposed to testosterone most of my life. I've got longer arms, bigger build. I've got leverage they don't have. It's not fair.”
Regardless of Lancaster’s concerns about competing alongside her peers, the Republic says her club speed has declined from 109 mph to 96 mph since her transition. She is out-driving women by 100 yards, but has yet to win a qualifying tournament for the USGA Senior Women’s Amateur Championship.
Lancaster may have an advantage in driving distance but not a general golf advantage. Nevertheless, she understands the questions about fairness, which is why she decided on the LGPA Tour.
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America
- WATCH: Obama Invokes LGBT Rights in Mandela Eulogy
- The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM
- Latest News NBC To Spotlight Russia’s Human Rights Abuses During Olympics December 10 2013 6:11 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances The Financial Effects of DOMA: Filing Taxes December 10 2013 5:56 PM
- Couples/Personal Finances Examining Employee Benefits in the Wake of DOMA’s Overturn December 10 2013 5:38 PM