LGBT Ally Chris Kluwe Concerned About His Football Future
BY Trudy Ring
April 29 2013 7:30 PM ET
With the Minnesota Vikings having drafted a punter, the current player in this position, marriage equality supporter Chris Kluwe, sounds a little worried that his outspokenness may cost him his job.
“It’s a shame that in a league with players given multiple second chances after arrests, including felony arrests, that speaking out on human rights has a chance of getting you cut,” Kluwe told NBC Sports’ Pro Football Talk blog Sunday.
The Vikings picked University of California, Los Angeles punter Jeff Locke in the fifth round of the draft of college players over the weekend. Pro Football Talk reports that on Saturday, Kluwe “took a glass-half-full approach” to the move, saying he’d be happy to compete with Locke for the punting job, but by Sunday he was “starting to see the glass as potentially being half empty — and he senses that the buzz word if/when he’s released will be ‘distractions.’”
The blog notes that Vikings management didn’t seem to have a problem with Kluwe’s other “distractions,” such as late-night gigs with his band or his passion for video games, but his support for “a controversial social cause” has the front office worried.
Meanwhile, Kluwe was one of many athletes and others expressing support for Jason Collins, the pro basketball player who came out as gay today. “I’m just happy that Jason is able to be who he is,” Kluwe told Time’s Keeping Score blog today. “This is his story. It’s not my story.” Keeping Score blogger Sean Gregory, though, points out that Kluwe is perhaps a bit too modest, as Collins’s coming-out story in Sports Illustrated gave him a nod. “I’m impressed with the straight pro athletes who have spoken up so far — Chris Kluwe, Brendon Ayanbadejo,” Collins wrote.
- BREAKING: New Mexico Supreme Court Declares Statewide Marriage Equality
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Figure Skater Brian Boitano Comes Out
- Meet the People Fired for Being LGBT in 2013
- WATCH: Sexy Santas Want You to 'Get Enrolled' in Obamacare
- Duck Dynasty Star Slams Sinful 'Homosexuals, Drunks, Terrorists'
- Women Op-ed: Silencing a #SharedGirlHood on Social Media 1 hour 59 min ago
- Politics Putin's Top Priority: 'Equal Terms' for Olympic Athletes 2 hours 3 min ago
- Travel Wanna Go to the SAG Awards in L.A.? 2 hours 8 min ago
- Activism HRC Donates $100K to Support Russian LGBTs 2 hours 15 min ago
- Religion Pastor Defrocked for Performing Son's Same-Sex Marriage 2 hours 40 min ago
- Women WATCH: Who's in the Mood for a Jennifer Lawrence / Butt Plug story? 2 hours 45 min ago
- Women WATCH: Out Sochi Olympics Delegate Caitlin Cahow On Going to Russia 1:56 PM