WATCH: Jim DeMint Is 'Grateful' to Live In a Country With Gay NBA Players
BY Sunnivie Brydum
May 06 2013 6:00 PM ET
Former South Carolina Senator Jim DeMint turned heads on Sunday's episode of ABC's This Week with George Stephanopoulos when he expressed tacit support for newly out NBA center Jason Collins.
The former Senator, who now serves as the president of the antigay Heritage Foundation, told Stephanopoulos he's "grateful to live in a country where people can love who they want and live the way they want."
That's a stark departure from DeMint's usually hardline antigay rhetoric, evidenced most recently in a Heritage Foundation anti-marriage equality video starring DeMint railing against the dangers of the "welfare state" and the skyrocketing "unwed childbearing rate." The Heritage Foundation posted the video in March to publicize its "March for [Heterosexual] Marriage" outside the Supreme Court as the nation's highest judiciary considered two cases relating to marriage equality — one challenging California's Proposition 8, and the other challenging the so-called Defense of Marriage Act
Throughout DeMint's eight years in the U.S. Senate, he also repeatedly claimed that neither unmarried women nor gay men should be allowed to be teach schoolchildren.
Watch DeMint's cool, collected statement in the closing moments of This Week's episode in the video below, via Crooks and Liars.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Morrissey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip 11 min 34 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! 29 min 30 sec ago
- No More Bullying WATCH: New 'It Gets Better' Campaign Speaks to Russian LGBT Youth 50 min 26 sec ago
- World News LGBT Rights Are 'Essential Part' of U.S. Foreign Policy, Says Susan Rice 1 hour 7 min ago
- Marriage Equality Judge Expected to Rule on Utah Marriage Ban Early Next Year 1 hour 23 min ago
- Transgender Are Federal Contractors Allowed to Discriminate Against Trans People? 1 hour 33 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Nelson Mandela, HIV Advocate and Humanitarian, Dies at 95 1 hour 52 min ago