Indiana Pacers Player Apologizes After 'No Homo' Comment
BY Neal Broverman
June 02 2013 3:13 PM ET
Indiana Pacers center Roy Hibbert was contrite after a disastrous press conference where he called the media an expletive and used the term "no homo."
Hibbert was strangely antagonistic at the press conference even though the Pacers beat Miami 91-77 in the Eastern Conference Finals. When asked about his defense of Heat player LeBron James, Hibbert said, "no homo." He also called the media "motherfuckers."
By Sunday, Hibbert had apologized and reached out to gay basketball player Jason Collins, asking him on Twitter if "I can get a follow. Would like to discuss something with you." It's not clear if the two players corresponded.
In a statement from the Pacers, Hibbert declared "deep regret over my choice of words last night. I am apologizing for insensitive remarks made during the postgame press conference after our victory over Miami Saturday night. They were disrespectful and offensive and not a reflection of my personal views. I used a slang term that is not appropriate in any setting, private or public, and the language I used definitely has no place in a public forum, especially over live television. I apologize to those who I have offended, to our fans and to the Pacers' organization."
The NBA has not yet announced whether Hibbert will be fined. Read more here.
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Boston: Major Beer Sponsor Pulls Out of St. Pat's Parade
- Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages
- Experts Predict: Iran Will Remain Deadly
- Do New Immigration Detention Guidelines Fail Trans Detainees?
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: A New Quiver March 14 2014 7:30 PM
- Travel State Department: Russia is Dangerous for All Americans March 14 2014 6:55 PM
- Women The 31 Most Eligible Out Women of 2014 March 14 2014 6:41 PM
- Marriage Equality Judge: Tenn. Must Recognize Three Same-Sex Marriages March 14 2014 6:39 PM
- Film Is Terence Davies' The Long Day Closes the Greatest Gay Film Ever Made? March 14 2014 5:30 PM
- Media Vox Editor in Chief Defends Hiring of 'Homophobic' Gay Writer March 14 2014 4:37 PM
- Health HHS Orders Insurers to Cover All Married Same-Sex Couples March 14 2014 4:14 PM