Europe's First Trans Parliamentarian Arrested at Olympics for Gay Sign
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
February 17 2014 12:26 PM ET
Europe's first out transgender parliamentarian, Vladimir Luxuria, says she was detained by Russian plain clothes police Sunday at the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics for holding a sign that read "Gay is OK" in Russian. According to The Independent, the former Italian MP was detained Sunday and released in the early hours Monday and was told "she was not allowed to display pro-gay slogans in public."
“I think it is important (to have) the opportunity to talk internationally about these things because otherwise these things happen in Russia and nobody knows, nobody cares," the 48-year-old Luxuria told fans later. “They think, 'Well, it's not in our country, it's far away, it's in Russia, who cares?'”
Olympic officials told The Independent that they had no record of her detention and “a duty officer at Sochi's central police station told a reporter with the Associated Press that they had 'never had an Italian national in custody.'”
However, Adam Withnall writes that "reports in Russia suggested that arrests at unauthorized rallies are common, and that officers are regularly so swamped with paperwork that they will detain and then release those seen as minor offenders without registering the incident."
The former Italian MP told Reuters she'd be back out today, adding, “I tell you, if ... I don't have the opportunity to have a flag with 'It's OK to be gay' written on it I will shout it. I know how to say it in Russian.”
A photo of Luxuria with Italian comedy duo Pio and Amedeo, who star in the Italian television program Reservoir Dogs, was posted to Facebook and Twitter, according to Towleroad, with the sign off that reads, "Everything is ok... good night #freeluxuria."
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 2 hours 56 min ago
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM