Add Tokyo Disneyland to Your List of Potential Wedding Venues
BY Lucas Grindley
May 17 2012 7:44 PM ET
Now same-sex couples in Asia can finally get married in Cinderella's castle, and both can wear gowns if they want.
Tokyo Disneyland acquiesced this week to a request by two women to get married on the grounds, reports the Guardian. Koyuki Higashi had written to Disney asking for permission to marry her partner Hiroko and was initially told yes — so long as only one wore a gown and the other a tux.
A Disney spokesperson quickly took back that dress code requirement after Higashi wrote about the response online, and she and her partner can now wear whatever they want. They just can't get married in the chapel, the Guardian reports.
The couple had actually never intended to get married, according to the Wall Street Journal, and it's not legal there anyway. Higashi was just curious about whether she would be excluded from an advertised "Royal Dream Wedding" package at Cinderella's Castle (which costs more than $90,000). But they still made a visit to Disneyland to thank Mickey Mouse in person, and a photo posted on Higashi's blog of them holding up "thank you" signs is spreading online.
"Mickey first looked surprised to hear that we are a couple of girls," Higashi wrote, according to a translation in the Guardian. "But we said we were there to thank him… and he celebrated with us."
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in New York City
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride May 20 2013 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 May 20 2013 6:00 PM