Add Tokyo Disneyland to Your List of Potential Wedding Venues
BY Lucas Grindley
May 17 2012 6:44 PM ET
Now same-sex couples in Asia can finally get married in Cinderella's castle, and both can wear gowns if they want.
Tokyo Disneyland acquiesced this week to a request by two women to get married on the grounds, reports the Guardian. Koyuki Higashi had written to Disney asking for permission to marry her partner Hiroko and was initially told yes — so long as only one wore a gown and the other a tux.
A Disney spokesperson quickly took back that dress code requirement after Higashi wrote about the response online, and she and her partner can now wear whatever they want. They just can't get married in the chapel, the Guardian reports.
The couple had actually never intended to get married, according to the Wall Street Journal, and it's not legal there anyway. Higashi was just curious about whether she would be excluded from an advertised "Royal Dream Wedding" package at Cinderella's Castle (which costs more than $90,000). But they still made a visit to Disneyland to thank Mickey Mouse in person, and a photo posted on Higashi's blog of them holding up "thank you" signs is spreading online.
"Mickey first looked surprised to hear that we are a couple of girls," Higashi wrote, according to a translation in the Guardian. "But we said we were there to thank him… and he celebrated with us."
- Ugandan Parliament Passes Anti-Homosexuality Bill
- Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny
- WATCH: Sexy Santas Want You to 'Get Enrolled' in Obamacare
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Op-ed: What It's Like Being Trans In Military Academies
- New Mexico Supreme Court Declares Statewide Marriage Equality
- World News Uganda Passes Anti-Homosexuality Bill 16 min 45 sec ago
- Books Was Norman Rockwell Gay? 1 hour 32 min ago
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 27 Awesome Gifts for Entertainment Buffs 4:00 AM
- Entertainment News WATCH: Ellen DeGeneres' First Trailer for the Oscars December 19 2013 11:06 PM
- Travel Futuristic Vegas Nightclub Goes Gay December 19 2013 8:42 PM
- Obituaries Washington Marriage Equality Opponent Dies December 19 2013 8:10 PM
- Film Paul Rudd Set to Star in Marvel Comics Ant-Man Film December 19 2013 7:08 PM