BY Advocate Contributors
March 10 2011 12:30 PM ET
There’s little to recommend Edinburgh’s gay scene – its sorry smattering of gay bars are excruciatingly dated – but the Scottish capital more than compensates with its atmospheric tumble of cobbled streets and shadowy alleyways.
And there’s beauty beyond the city limits too, with Scotland’s unblemished Highlands and lochs luring Scots and visitors alike. Highlands, as you’ve no doubt deduced, are what we commonly referred to as mountains; lochs are the crystalline lakes between them. Eager to experience them myself I joined local company Rabbie’s West Highland Lochs and Castles day tour.
Although I’m usually hesitant to join tours it proved worthwhile on this occasion. As trite as it sounds to say, the Scottish countryside is quite simply breathtaking. We passed billowing swathes of gorse-clad hillocks and amber mountains still fringed with snow; silver lochs that glinted beneath shrouds of mist and skeletal castles left to ruin. A spectacular route all round, we agreed (with the exception of the characterless and pricey pub we had to lunch at). There were unenthusiastic reviews too for one sight in particular. Returning to the bus after having visited Kilchurn Castle on the banks of Loch Awe, a guy who was part of our group excused himself and proceeded to defecate in the reeds. A beautiful setting for him perhaps but we found it somewhat unsightly.
- WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Colo. Baker Ready to Go to Jail for Jesus
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling 39 min 9 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' 1 hour 11 min ago
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark 1 hour 20 min ago
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker 1 hour 36 min ago
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? 1 hour 36 min ago
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards 2 hours 18 min ago
- Entertainment News GQ Germany Features Famous Straight Men Kissing for Tolerance 4:28 PM