BY Advocate Contributors
March 10 2011 1:30 PM ET
There’s little to recommend Edinburgh’s gay scene – its sorry smattering of gay bars are excruciatingly dated – but the Scottish capital more than compensates with its atmospheric tumble of cobbled streets and shadowy alleyways.
And there’s beauty beyond the city limits too, with Scotland’s unblemished Highlands and lochs luring Scots and visitors alike. Highlands, as you’ve no doubt deduced, are what we commonly referred to as mountains; lochs are the crystalline lakes between them. Eager to experience them myself I joined local company Rabbie’s West Highland Lochs and Castles day tour.
Although I’m usually hesitant to join tours it proved worthwhile on this occasion. As trite as it sounds to say, the Scottish countryside is quite simply breathtaking. We passed billowing swathes of gorse-clad hillocks and amber mountains still fringed with snow; silver lochs that glinted beneath shrouds of mist and skeletal castles left to ruin. A spectacular route all round, we agreed (with the exception of the characterless and pricey pub we had to lunch at). There were unenthusiastic reviews too for one sight in particular. Returning to the bus after having visited Kilchurn Castle on the banks of Loch Awe, a guy who was part of our group excused himself and proceeded to defecate in the reeds. A beautiful setting for him perhaps but we found it somewhat unsightly.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Television MTV's Awkward Adds 2 New Gay Characters 2 min 30 sec ago
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM