The Westboro Effect Continues, Raising Thousands for Trevor Project
BY Lucas Grindley
February 21 2013 3:23 PM ET
Westboro Baptist Church continues to accidentally help raise money and attention for LGBT rights with its nonsensical protests.
When the group promised to picket Vassar College on Feb. 28, activists started a countermovement raising cash for The Trevor Project.
Then Westboro promised to picket the "It Gets Better" tour, which showed up in their home state of Kansas. The Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles works with It Gets Better to create a traveling musical adaptation its message. The show goes into schools and communities and highlights videos from locals, while also sharing the stories of some in the show.
Via Twitter, Westboro announced it wouldn't miss the show in Lawrence, and would arrive with its "God Hates" signs to protest. That didn't stop the tour, of course.
"Thank you Lawrence, KS for your hospitality, your blossoming anti-bullying Ally coalition and continually combating hate with love," the tour posted after leaving town with another successful show. "It's definitely getting better!"
So far, the online counter-protest-as-fundraiser has blown through its $4,500 goal and continued past the $80,000 mark.
CORRECTION: The traveling musical is affiliated with It Gets Better, not The Trevor Project.
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Joe Rogan Has Gay Locker Room Stalker
- Memories of JFK From His Gay Best Friend
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination December 07 2013 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer December 07 2013 4:00 AM