The Westboro Effect Triggers Embarrassing Counter-Protest
BY Lucas Grindley
February 25 2013 8:46 PM ET
It seems every time the Westboro Church protests, the real effect is a huge show of support for LGBT people.
When protesters showed up today at Santa Monica High School in California to protest its accepting environment for LGBT students, the Westboro effect launched a huge counter-protest by the students themselves. Sign-waving supporters lined up along a sidewalk across the street, many times more in numbers.
Then, Westboro left. Sarah Wahrenbrock, a spokeswoman with the Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District superintendent’s office, told the Los Angeles Times, “They did show up, but they weren’t around very long.”
When Westboro recently announced a protest of Vassar, it triggered an online counter-protest that has so far raised nearly $90,000 for The Trevor Project, which combats LGBT teen suicide with its message of inclusion.
In the video below, see why the protest in Santa Monica might have been cut short.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays?
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Op-ed: Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBT People
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 25 min 1 sec ago
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM