The Westboro Effect Triggers Embarrassing Counter-Protest
BY Lucas Grindley
February 25 2013 8:46 PM ET
It seems every time the Westboro Church protests, the real effect is a huge show of support for LGBT people.
When protesters showed up today at Santa Monica High School in California to protest its accepting environment for LGBT students, the Westboro effect launched a huge counter-protest by the students themselves. Sign-waving supporters lined up along a sidewalk across the street, many times more in numbers.
Then, Westboro left. Sarah Wahrenbrock, a spokeswoman with the Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District superintendent’s office, told the Los Angeles Times, “They did show up, but they weren’t around very long.”
When Westboro recently announced a protest of Vassar, it triggered an online counter-protest that has so far raised nearly $90,000 for The Trevor Project, which combats LGBT teen suicide with its message of inclusion.
In the video below, see why the protest in Santa Monica might have been cut short.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM