The Westboro Effect Triggers Embarrassing Counter-Protest
BY Lucas Grindley
February 25 2013 7:46 PM ET
It seems every time the Westboro Church protests, the real effect is a huge show of support for LGBT people.
When protesters showed up today at Santa Monica High School in California to protest its accepting environment for LGBT students, the Westboro effect launched a huge counter-protest by the students themselves. Sign-waving supporters lined up along a sidewalk across the street, many times more in numbers.
Then, Westboro left. Sarah Wahrenbrock, a spokeswoman with the Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District superintendent’s office, told the Los Angeles Times, “They did show up, but they weren’t around very long.”
When Westboro recently announced a protest of Vassar, it triggered an online counter-protest that has so far raised nearly $90,000 for The Trevor Project, which combats LGBT teen suicide with its message of inclusion.
In the video below, see why the protest in Santa Monica might have been cut short.
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- WATCH: Glenn Beck Has Gay Friends, So He's Not Intolerant
- WATCH: Pat Robertson Says Pray for Gays 'Recruited' By Child Abuse
- Religion WATCH: Pat Robertson Says Pray for Gays 'Recruited' By Child Abuse 1 hour 46 min ago
- Women WATCH: Idina Menzel's Female Empowerment Anthem from Frozen 2 hours 20 min ago
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: What's the Next Hot Destination? 3:20 PM
- Internet WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas? 2:50 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Glenn Beck Has Gay Friends, So He's Not Intolerant 2:44 PM
- Women Op-ed: Remembering Mandela 2:04 PM
- Marriage Equality Illinois Family Institute Compares Marriage Equality to Junk Food 1:21 PM