Out designer Mr. Blackwell praises the well-dressed and excoriates the fashion-challenged with his annual Best- and Worst-dressed Lists, and he released his 2004 edition Tuesday. Earning his praise as "Fabulous Fashion Independents" are Nicole Kidman, Natalie Portman, Barbara Walters, Kate Winslet, Annette Bening, Oprah Winfrey, Scarlett Johanson, Gwen Stefani, Teri Hatcher, and Jennifer Garner.
But what readers worldwide crave annually are his poison-pen poems for style criminals. Here's his "Worst-dressed Women of 2004":
10. Anna Nicole Smith: In Marilyn's rejects, she's a bona fide fashion scream--looks like a rag doll trapped in a wind machine!
9. Meryl Streep: Forget Lemony Snicket--Streep packs the fashion punch of Jiminy Cricket! In dowdy glasses and lumpy tents, Meryl is "A Series of Unfortunate Events"!
8. Paula Abdul: Let's face it: Perky Paula's a paint-by-numbers fashion foul--she dresses with all the restraint of a revved-up Simon Cowell!
7. Britney Spears: What's left to say about the new Mrs. Federline? She's a clothes encounter of the catastrophic kind!
6. Serena Williams: Courting disaster with every style-free serve, black leather at the Open takes a lot of nerve! From the Queen of Tennis to Fatal Fashion Menace--non-stop!
5. Paris Hilton: Paris's "designer" is obviously on vacation--this is one Hilton that should be closed for renovation!
4. Courtney Love: Setting the decadent precedent was once her couture code--now she's just Medusa stuck in a meltdown mode!
3. (tie) Jessica Simpson and Ashlee Simpson: From gaudy...to grim...to downright frenetic--these two prove that bad taste is positively genetic!
2. Lindsay Lohan: Over-hyped and under-dressed. What's happened to Lindsay? When it comes to fashion she's in a schizophrenic frenzy!
1. Nicollette Sheridan: In barely-there bombs she's a taste-free pain--Let's crown her the Tacky Temptress of Wisteria Lane!
Mr. Blackwell sticks it to the fashion-challenged with his annual "Worst-Dressed" list