Scroll To Top

Second Death in Ed Buck's Home Ruled Accidental Meth OD

Timothy Dean

That's the same drug that killed another black man found dead in Buck's apartment in 2017.

A second man found dead in the home of Democratic donor Ed Buck died of an accidental drug overdose, law enforcement confirmed.

The Los Angeles Sheriff's Office said Timothy Dean died of methamphetamine toxicity, according to the Los Angeles Times. Dean, 55, was found dead on January 7 in Buck's West Hollywood apartment.

But Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Nicole Nishida said investigators will continue looking at the death.

Friends of Dean told the paper the Saks Fifth Avenue fashion consultant didn't regularly use drugs or even drink excessively.

But the most alarming thing about Dean's death is it's not the first time a dead black man showed up in Buck's apartment in the last two years.

In July 2017, Gemmel Moore was found dead and surrounded by drug paraphernalia. Police say Buck was at the apartment when both men died.

In the case of Moore, police found a journal where Moore said he'd become addicted to meth, and Buck had introduced him to the drug.

But Buck has still not been arrested in connection with either death and apparently is living life largely undeterred.

The multi-millionaire and long-time West Hollywood activist, Buck has morphed into a figure of controversy since Moore's death; his notoriety only increased with Dean's death.

Neighbors previously told The Advocate that young black men are no longer regularly coming in and out of Buck's apartment, whether that's because of Buck lowering his own profile or individuals now sensing potential mortal danger from visiting.

Last year, prosecutors declined to bring any charges against Buck for Moore's death, saying there was no evidence Buck furnished the 26-year-old with the drugs that killed him. But Moore's mother has brought a wrongful death suit against Buck that accused him of being a sexual predator soliciting men and injecting them with drugs while he performed sex acts on them.

Buck's attorney Seymour Amster told the Times that in the case of Dean, the overdose victim did not take any drugs at Buck's home and showed up intoxicated.

"We stand by our position that unfortunately Mr. Dean ingested drugs at a location other than Mr. Buck's, and he came over intoxicated, and it's a tragedy," Amster told the paper.

30 Years of Out100Out / Advocate Magazine - Jonathan Groff & Wayne Brady

From our Sponsors

Most Popular

Latest Stories

Jacob Ogles