IMAGES: Why We Need Gay Art
BY Christopher Harrity
October 23 2013 6:00 AM ET
Gay art — in this case art that depicts the male form in erotic context for a gay audience — may make some uncomfortable. Some may decry that we have evolved away from sexualizing our relationships with images of naked men. But historically gay art has been a connecting point for people who often had no other way of connecting to, or identifying with, a community and an identity.
As many men and women have moved away from gay bars as the only way to connect with like-minded people, it is undeniable that bars were the hubs of our community for decades.
And erotic art, besides serving its purpose of visually entertaining its audience, also persists in the cause of gay visibility. For centuries, art and literature depicting gay love has been censored, destroyed and suppressed. So whether you consider this in poor taste, or overly sexualized, or inappropriate, the art still insists on existing and depicting a slice of our story.
The art in this gallery is from Capolavoro Publishing's book Capolavoro di Uomo: Masterpiece of Man - Showcasing The Best Of The Diversity In Gay Erotic Art. The book features 46 artists from around the world representing Austria, Australia, Belgium, Canada, Chile, England, France, Holland, Israel, Italy, South Africa, Spain, New Zealand, and the United States. The book is available for purchase at Capolavoroart.com. A portion of the book is also viewable on the website. The book's official launch was held at the Leslie-Lohman Museum of Gay and Lesbian Art in New York on August 22nd.
Click through for more selections from the book >>>
- Entertainment News Tom Daley: Russian Doll? 33 min 48 sec ago
- Tyler Curry Op-ed: The Other Obligation That Comes With HIV 2 hours 51 min ago
- Film Queer Fan Art: The Hobbit 6:30 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: My Father's Daughter 5:00 AM
- Politics Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year 4:00 AM
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher December 12 2013 8:48 PM
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts December 12 2013 8:18 PM