#TBT: Posters of Male Nudes
BY Christopher Harrity
August 28 2014 10:30 AM ET
Sex sells. Teasing double entendres and coyly posed women have been featured on posters and advertising as far back as the late 1800s. So much so that maybe no one noticed that the artistic male nude also got fair play as a come-hither visual on various ads for motorcars, bicycles, and tourism. As we connect the homoerotic dots we also note that these ads were designed to appeal to men in most cases. While we ponder that, let's also note how easygoing folks were about male nudity in the last century. Not so much today. Hopefully Facebook won't censor this.
Most of the examples below are European posters, long revered for their beautiful design. If you can translate, great, but we didn't.
We are guessing this is not an ad for shoes.
Is it in yet?
Nothing more irritating than getting your wing caught in the bicycle chain, huh, angel?
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- Freddy Krave Is His Own Best Model