Artist Spotlight: Ryan Martin
BY Christopher Harrity
March 16 2013 6:22 AM ET
2 of Amerikaz Most Wanted, 2008, 80 x 84 inches
Ryan Martin was raised in Orange County, Calif. and attended conservative private schools throughout his youth before moving to the San Francisco Bay Area, to study fine art.
A mecca for the LGBT community, the Bay Area influenced Martin’s artwork through celebratory color and explosive brushstrokes. All the while, tightly rendered figures seem conflicted within their fanciful environments. The paintings resemble an archeological dig of the exotic, mythical landscapes but on the verge of destruction. The figures encompass not only insecurities of being an unequal youth, but also the feelings of entitlement and power.
Martin’s paintings have been exhibited in art shows and fairs in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Miami, and New York City. He is currently creating works for his next solo exhibition in San Francisco.
For more information:
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' May 24 2013 8:25 PM
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student May 24 2013 7:58 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt Refuses Plea, Heads to Court Over Same-Sex High School Relationship May 24 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked May 24 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition May 24 2013 7:00 PM
- Women Op-Ed: Remembering Sakia Gunn: the News Coverage and Homophobic Murder May 24 2013 6:27 PM