BY Corey Scholibo
August 18 2009 11:00 PM ET
One of your characters, Louise, finds it difficult to be married while working in PR. When you were a publicist were you able to have a relationship?I had a five-year relationship in New York during that period and the person I was with at the time was so annoyed that my phone would ring at all hours, for what he considered the most silly, petty things. But I was like, "You don't understand, if I don't get this done in the next 20 minutes I am going to lose my job." That kind of thing. But at the same time the partner I was with loved to go to all the events. There were a couple of friends I would have falling-outs with because I would invite them to an event I would work on and all they would do was complain about my client or that I was working, time and time again. And I was like, “You know what, don't come to the events.” And then I was like, "Why am I even caring?" But PR is about creating that illusion and after a while that can be very taxing and you wonder, Who am I?
Did you get involved with drugs?I stayed away from it, thankfully. Through other friends it was very much around me, but it never became a problem or anything.
Was that your Midwest upbringing that kept you grounded?I think so, yeah. With parents like mine calling to tell me negative comments on Gawker to keep me in check….
What's next for you?I have another book, Waxed, that is also with St. Martin's Press, coming out next summer. It's about three sisters that own a high-end bikini waxing salon in New York. And again, I don't want to give away too many plot points, but there is a transgender child, a 5-year-old, in the book and another prominent gay character. I really try to incorporate the landscape of New York into my books.
Even though you still write about New York it seems you are an Angeleno now.To some extent. I read a lot of New Age books and I am meditating. It sounds so cliché, but not while you are in it of course. Then you look around one day and say, Wow, I guess I am that person.
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 1 hour 40 min ago
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? March 07 2014 5:53 PM