BY Corey Scholibo
August 19 2009 12:00 AM ET
One of your characters, Louise, finds it difficult to be married while working in PR. When you were a publicist were you able to have a relationship?I had a five-year relationship in New York during that period and the person I was with at the time was so annoyed that my phone would ring at all hours, for what he considered the most silly, petty things. But I was like, "You don't understand, if I don't get this done in the next 20 minutes I am going to lose my job." That kind of thing. But at the same time the partner I was with loved to go to all the events. There were a couple of friends I would have falling-outs with because I would invite them to an event I would work on and all they would do was complain about my client or that I was working, time and time again. And I was like, “You know what, don't come to the events.” And then I was like, "Why am I even caring?" But PR is about creating that illusion and after a while that can be very taxing and you wonder, Who am I?
Did you get involved with drugs?I stayed away from it, thankfully. Through other friends it was very much around me, but it never became a problem or anything.
Was that your Midwest upbringing that kept you grounded?I think so, yeah. With parents like mine calling to tell me negative comments on Gawker to keep me in check….
What's next for you?I have another book, Waxed, that is also with St. Martin's Press, coming out next summer. It's about three sisters that own a high-end bikini waxing salon in New York. And again, I don't want to give away too many plot points, but there is a transgender child, a 5-year-old, in the book and another prominent gay character. I really try to incorporate the landscape of New York into my books.
Even though you still write about New York it seems you are an Angeleno now.To some extent. I read a lot of New Age books and I am meditating. It sounds so cliché, but not while you are in it of course. Then you look around one day and say, Wow, I guess I am that person.
- Pastor: Homosexuals Bully Straights
- Op-ed: Flying While Trans
- Study: Same-Sex Couples Suffer Discrimination in Rental Market
- TV Mastermind Jane Espenson: From to to Evil Queens
- Dallas Councilwoman Objects to "Homosexual Conduct" in HIV Testing Billboard
- One of the Year's Best LGBT Graphic Novels Is for Teens
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Seen at TrevorLIVE: Jane Lynch, Billy Porter, Cason Crane, Cindy McCain 2 hours 38 min ago
- Women Where the Girls Are in West Hollywood June 18 2013 8:09 PM
- The Wedding Channel EXCLUSIVE: Kim Stolz & Lexi Ritsch Wedding Photos June 18 2013 7:46 PM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass Wedding First in Maryland June 18 2013 6:24 PM
- Entertainment News How To Take Down An Anti-Gay 'Victim' June 18 2013 6:06 PM
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: Perez Hilton Vs. Inflatable Alligator June 18 2013 6:00 PM
- Entertainment News One Direction: Caught Twerking—and in Calvins June 18 2013 5:44 PM