Archie's Gay Pal, Kevin Keller, Gets a Novel
BY Jase Peeples
April 02 2013 12:32 PM ET
Kevin Keller became an instant icon as the first gay character introduced in the pages of Archie Comics in 2011. Since then, the teen quickly became one of the most recognizable faces in Riverdale, starring in several projects including his own miniseries, one-shots, and an ongoing comic as well.
Today, Kevin’s star continues to rise higher, and on April 18 he’ll be making history once again with a new hardcover young adult novel, simply titled Kevin, from Penguin Books.
The novel is written by comic and children’s book scribe Paul Kupperberg (Superman, Action Comics, Superboy, Supergirl) who also penned the popular Life With Archie issue, which depicted an adult Keller marrying his partner. The story will focus on Keller’s early years before he moved to Riverdale as he deals with bullying, sexuality, and several other issues.
“Kevin was created to be a character who is gay, to illustrate the inclusiveness of the Riverdale-Archie belief system, [not just to be] controversial,” Kupperberg told Publishers Weekly. “He’s there to reflect the reality of the world.”
“Kevin is a character who is gay, not a gay character,” Kupperberg added. “When you boil it down, it’s still an Archie comic, I didn’t even show them kissing. I’m not looking for controversy. I’m just telling a story.”
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- WATCH: Teen Uses Bar Mitzvah Speech to Call for Marriage Equality
- Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Commentary Op-ed: Immigration Goes Beyond Documentation 7:00 AM
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: The Many Faces of LGBT Family 6:00 AM
- Comedy Meet the Lesbian Who Won a Comedy Cage Match 6:00 AM
- Women Emily Rios' Lesbian Character on The Bridge Upped to Series Regular December 10 2013 8:47 PM
- Media Russia Expert to Offer Political Commentary During Olympics December 10 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel In-Flight Cellphone Conversations: Dream or Nightmare? December 10 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics New Gay U.S. Ambassador Meets With Dominican President December 10 2013 7:08 PM