The Best Poets: Hear From Lambda's Nominees
BY Daniel Reynolds
March 31 2014 7:31 AM ET
from proxy by R. Erica Doyle
Excerpted from proxy by r. erica doyle with permission from the author. Copyright 2013. Published by Belladonna* Books.
r. erica doyle was born in Brooklyn, NY to Trinidadian immigrant parents. Her first book, proxy, was published by Belladonna* Books in 2013, and won the 2014 Norma Farber First Book Award from the Poetry Society of America. Her work has appeared in Best American Poetry, Our Caribbean: A Gathering of Gay and Lesbian Writing from the Antilles, Bum Rush the Page: A Def Poetry Jam, Ploughshares, Bloom, Blithe House Quarterly, and Sinister Wisdom. Erica is a fellow of Cave Canem and has received grants and awards from the Hurston/Wright Foundation, the Astraea Lesbian Writers Fund, and the New York Foundation for the Arts.
- WATCH: The Moment Ireland Said 'Yes' to Marriage Equality
- Why Can't We Talk About Homophobia in the Black Community?
- PHOTOS: International Mr. Leather Weekend
- Vatican Official Calls Irish Marriage Vote 'Defeat for Humanity'
- San Diego Mourns Third Trans Teen to Die by Suicide
- WATCH: Out Musician Mika Shares Video for 'Good Guys,' a Bittersweet Homage to Gay Men