The Hot Sheet
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 24 2010 11:00 AM ET
Life as We Know It — Katherine Heigl and Josh Duhamel star as an unlikely pair forced to move in together to raise the baby daughter of their deceased friends in director Greg Berlanti’s glossy first feature since 2000’s The Broken Hearts Club. Berlanti, among the most LGBT-inclusive writer-directors working today, unobtrusively includes a gay couple among the neighbors who lend support to the unexpected parents.
Nowhere Boy — The complicated, pre-Beatles years of angry teenager John Lennon and the influential women in his life is the subject of this finely rendered feature debut by director Sam Taylor-Wood. Gorgeous cinematography (by The Hours’ Seamus McGarvey) and exceptional performances (Aaron Johnson as a swaggering, handsome young Lennon, Anne-Marie Duff as his often-unhinged mother, Julia, and especially Kristin Scott-Thomas as his determined Aunt Mimi) highlight this insightful look into the future icon.
My Soul to Take — Wes Craven hasn’t directed a film since 2005’s Red Eye (and he hasn’t written one since Wes Craven’s New Nightmare). But the horror master is in fine form with My Soul to Take, which is reminiscent of the great horror films of the ’80s. An attractive cast will surely help pack bodies in the theater, and it’s the perfect appetizer for Scream 4, which hits screens next April.
Tamara Drewe — Director Stephen Frears’s résumé reads like a master class in art films — Dangerous Liaisons, The Grifters, Dirty Pretty Things, The Queen. But with Tamara Drewe he gets decidedly less serious for a fun romp through the English countryside. In the story of a newspaper writer (Gemma Arterton, charming) who returns to her hometown just as her family home is being put up for sale, the colorful ensemble cast makes this an enjoyable way to spend an afternoon at the movies.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Bill O'Reilly's 'War on Christmas' Led By Abortionists and Married Gays
- Morrissey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography
- Women WATCH: Lesbians Explain How Lesbians Have Sex - with Visual Aids! 43 min 45 sec ago
- Travel Why Travelers Love Palm Springs Airport 1 hour 7 min ago
- Travel Turkish Bazaar Opening on Vegas Strip 1 hour 29 min ago
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! 1 hour 47 min ago
- No More Bullying WATCH: It Gets Better Speaks to Russian LGBT Youth 2 hours 8 min ago
- World News LGBT Rights Are 'Essential Part' of U.S. Foreign Policy, Says Susan Rice 2 hours 25 min ago
- Marriage Equality Judge Expected to Rule on Utah Marriage Ban Early Next Year 2 hours 40 min ago