Jodie Foster clashes with Leni Riefenstahl over biopic
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 07 2002 12:00 AM ET
MSNBC.com's Jeannette Walls reports that lesbian icon Jodie Foster, who has for years been working toward directing and starring in a film about controversial filmmaker Leni Riefenstahl, has had a conflict with Riefenstahl herself. The 99-year-old director, who spent four years in prison for glorifying the Nazis in her films Triumph of the Will and Olympia, had previously given Foster the inside track over other actresses interested in the Riefenstahl story, including Sharon Stone and Madonna. Foster elicited some controversy a few years ago when she told The [London] Daily Telegraph, "I've been interested in Leni for many, many years. She is an extraordinary woman: sharp as a tack and as beautiful as ever."
Now, however, Foster refused to sign contracts that would give Riefenstahl say in the content in the movie, and so the older filmmaker no longer wishes to participate in the project. "At this point, any potential cooperation or collaboration is off," a source tells Walls. "Leni wanted to have a say over what could and couldn't be in the film. Jodie said no way. So now Jodie is going on without her. [Leni] has been complaining that Hollywood is going to distort her life and tell lies about her." A spokesperson for Foster says there was never any intention to give Riefenstahl any control over the film and that plans for the biopic continue apace. "It's still on the drawing boards," he says. "It's in development."
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books Q&A Quickie: Justin Hernandez, from Gay Stripper to Naked Author 39 sec ago
- Women Todd Haynes To Direct Blanchett/Wasikowska in Patricia Highsmith Lesbian Potboiler 15 min 1 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Is 'Scared, Overwhelmed' By Potential Felony Sex Abuse Charges 42 min 55 sec ago
- World News Australia's Penny Wong Fights Homophobic Comments 1 hour 3 min ago
- Women Pretty Little Liars Adds Rumer Willis to Roster and Lands Teen Choice Nominations 1 hour 6 min ago
- Music WATCH: Adam Levine Gets a Shirtless Paint Job 1 hour 19 min ago
- Books Three Great Books About HIV 1 hour 21 min ago