Jodie Foster clashes with Leni Riefenstahl over biopic
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 06 2002 11:00 PM ET
MSNBC.com's Jeannette Walls reports that lesbian icon Jodie Foster, who has for years been working toward directing and starring in a film about controversial filmmaker Leni Riefenstahl, has had a conflict with Riefenstahl herself. The 99-year-old director, who spent four years in prison for glorifying the Nazis in her films Triumph of the Will and Olympia, had previously given Foster the inside track over other actresses interested in the Riefenstahl story, including Sharon Stone and Madonna. Foster elicited some controversy a few years ago when she told The [London] Daily Telegraph, "I've been interested in Leni for many, many years. She is an extraordinary woman: sharp as a tack and as beautiful as ever."
Now, however, Foster refused to sign contracts that would give Riefenstahl say in the content in the movie, and so the older filmmaker no longer wishes to participate in the project. "At this point, any potential cooperation or collaboration is off," a source tells Walls. "Leni wanted to have a say over what could and couldn't be in the film. Jodie said no way. So now Jodie is going on without her. [Leni] has been complaining that Hollywood is going to distort her life and tell lies about her." A spokesperson for Foster says there was never any intention to give Riefenstahl any control over the film and that plans for the biopic continue apace. "It's still on the drawing boards," he says. "It's in development."
- Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- New Mexico Supreme Court Declares Statewide Marriage Equality
- Figure Skater Brian Boitano Comes Out
- Duck Dynasty Star Slams Sinful 'Homosexuals, Drunks, Terrorists'
- Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out
- Entertainment News WATCH: Ellen DeGeneres' First Trailer for the Oscars 13 min 43 sec ago
- Travel Futuristic Vegas Nightclub Goes Gay 2 hours 36 min ago
- Obituaries Washington Marriage Equality Opponent Dies 8:10 PM
- Film Paul Rudd Set to Star in Marvel Comics Ant-Man Film 7:08 PM
- Entertainment News Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out 6:36 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Hotel Chain 6:33 PM
- People Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny 6:18 PM