Michael McKean will step in for Harvey Fierstein in Hairspray
February 11 2004 12:00 AM ET
Michael McKean will be Broadway's new Edna Turnblad in Hairspray. McKean joins the cast of the hit musical on May 4, replacing Harvey Fierstein as the full-figured Edna. The 56-year-old actor, who won a Grammy on Sunday for cowriting the title song for the film A Mighty Wind, also is up for an Oscar later this month. He's nominated for best original song, written with his wife, Annette O'Toole, for another tune from A Mighty Wind, titled "A Kiss at the End of the Rainbow." McKean is best known for playing the role of Leonard "Lenny" Kosnowski on television's Laverne and Shirley. He also was a regular on Saturday Night Live, and his films include This Is Spinal Tap and Best in Show (wherein he played the gay owner of a show dog). Fierstein leaves Hairspray on May 2. The show, based on the John Waters movie about a chubby girl and her obsession with a television dance show in 1960s Baltimore, opened on Broadway in August 2002.
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 1 hour 8 min ago
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 2 hours 8 min ago
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM