Todd Haynes's Bob Dylan biopic adds a new producer
April 07 2004 12:00 AM ET
Producer John Goldwyn is boarding the Bob Dylan biopic I'm Not There: Suppositions on a Film Concerning Dylan. Out filmmaker Todd Haynes is writing and directing the project, which Killer Films and Wells Productions are producing. Goldwyn will join the project as a producer through his new Paramount-based shingle. Goldwyn originally brought the feature into Paramount while serving as production president. Paramount will finance and distribute. "I think that Todd Haynes and [Killer Films principal] Christine Vachon are extremely talented," Goldwyn said. "They are also the ones that got Dylan to assign them the rights to his life story and music, and I feel very fortunate to be brought into this project."
Since segueing into a production deal at the studio, Goldwyn has assembled a varied lineup of titles. He most recently optioned the rights to Sabin Willett's novel Present Value. He is working on the remake of The Secret Life of Walter Mitty with his father, Samuel Goldwyn Jr. And he is also producing a feature with his actor-director brother, Tony Goldwyn, based on a new script from Ilene Chaiken, out creator of The L Word.
Haynes reportedly first conceived of the Dylan project before his last film, the critically acclaimed Far From Heaven. The project may undergo a name change. Meanwhile, Killer Films is soon to go into production on Savage Grace, a tale of sexual obsession and murder, from out director Tom Kalin (Swoon). The company has just begun production on The Ballad of Bettie Page (cowritten by American Psycho scripters Guinevere Turner and Mary Harron), about the 1950s pinup girl, and recently wrapped the Annette Bening film Mrs. Harris. On both of those projects Killer partnered with HBO. Wells Productions covers overhead for Killer, which has a first-look deal with Warner Bros. Pictures. Vachon has worked on all of Haynes's films since producing his debut, Poison.
(Reuters/The Hollywood Reporter)
- Television Exclusive Clip: The Idols Sing on RuPaul's Drag Race Tonight 33 min 52 sec ago
- Commentary Op-ed: The Policies Keeping Trans People From Military Service 6:00 AM
- Politics A Brief History of Gays And The St. Patrick's Day Parade 3:00 AM
- Love and Sex WATCH: First Gay Hug Parodies First Kiss Viral Video 2:19 AM
- Religion LGBT Exclusion Costs St. Paddy's Parades 2:10 AM
- Military Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade March 16 2014 5:34 PM
- Religion Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death? March 16 2014 1:41 PM