Gay Contestant Defends Blake Shelton
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 25 2011 7:40 AM ET
Voice contestant Nakia says that judge Blake Shelton, who recently apologized for an antigay tweet, is not homophobic, calling the country music singer a “good ol’ boy.”
Given the recent controversy, Zap2it interviewed Nakia, who is gay, and asked whether homophobia had anything to do with Shelton’s decision to keep country singer Patrick Thomas over pop singer Tyler Robinson, who is also gay.
"Trust me," said Nakia to Zap2it. "From the time I've spent with him, he's the furthest thing from a homophobe. He's so down to earth and he's so ready to party with anyone who has a bottle to drink. Trust me."
Nakia added that if he had to choose someone other than Cee Lo Green for his coach, he would pick Shelton. Shelton apologized for his tweet earlier this month.
"He's a good ol' boy," said the contestant. "He has great taste in music, and he has showed himself to be a real contender on the show for his team to win. So, I think I would go with Blake."
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 27 min 18 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 1 hour 6 min ago
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court 1 hour 12 min ago
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 1 hour 36 min ago
- Television Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay 1 hour 45 min ago
- Youth Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill 1 hour 51 min ago
- Uganda Op-ed: Uganda's Top Tabloid Isn't News, It's a Hit List 2 hours 34 min ago