Gay Contestant Defends Blake Shelton
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 25 2011 6:40 AM ET
Voice contestant Nakia says that judge Blake Shelton, who recently apologized for an antigay tweet, is not homophobic, calling the country music singer a “good ol’ boy.”
Given the recent controversy, Zap2it interviewed Nakia, who is gay, and asked whether homophobia had anything to do with Shelton’s decision to keep country singer Patrick Thomas over pop singer Tyler Robinson, who is also gay.
"Trust me," said Nakia to Zap2it. "From the time I've spent with him, he's the furthest thing from a homophobe. He's so down to earth and he's so ready to party with anyone who has a bottle to drink. Trust me."
Nakia added that if he had to choose someone other than Cee Lo Green for his coach, he would pick Shelton. Shelton apologized for his tweet earlier this month.
"He's a good ol' boy," said the contestant. "He has great taste in music, and he has showed himself to be a real contender on the show for his team to win. So, I think I would go with Blake."
- Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Op-ed: When Is the Right Time to Tell Your HIV Status on a Date?
- WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2
- World News German President Will Boycott Sochi Olympics December 08 2013 3:16 PM
- Marriage Equality Gay Teacher Fired After Obtaining Marriage License December 08 2013 2:31 PM
- Comedy WATCH: Ellen and Portia Recreate Bound 2 December 08 2013 2:15 PM
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' December 08 2013 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member December 08 2013 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights December 08 2013 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM