Gay Contestant Defends Blake Shelton
BY Advocate.com Editors
May 25 2011 7:40 AM ET
Voice contestant Nakia says that judge Blake Shelton, who recently apologized for an antigay tweet, is not homophobic, calling the country music singer a “good ol’ boy.”
Given the recent controversy, Zap2it interviewed Nakia, who is gay, and asked whether homophobia had anything to do with Shelton’s decision to keep country singer Patrick Thomas over pop singer Tyler Robinson, who is also gay.
"Trust me," said Nakia to Zap2it. "From the time I've spent with him, he's the furthest thing from a homophobe. He's so down to earth and he's so ready to party with anyone who has a bottle to drink. Trust me."
Nakia added that if he had to choose someone other than Cee Lo Green for his coach, he would pick Shelton. Shelton apologized for his tweet earlier this month.
"He's a good ol' boy," said the contestant. "He has great taste in music, and he has showed himself to be a real contender on the show for his team to win. So, I think I would go with Blake."
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: A Mass-Wedding First in Maryland 27 min 33 sec ago
- Entertainment News How To Take Down An Anti-Gay 'Victim' 45 min 49 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: Perez Hilton Vs. Inflatable Alligator 52 min 26 sec ago
- Entertainment News One Direction: Caught Twerking—and in Calvins 1 hour 7 min ago
- Entertainment News Need to Know: Alabama’s All-Male Cheerleading Squad 1 hour 18 min ago
- Sports National Gay & Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame’s First Class Announced 1 hour 46 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment Did Chris Colfer Get Arrested? 1 hour 52 min ago