BY Brandon Voss
March 04 2011 6:00 PM ET
10. THEATER: Little Miss Sunshine
A stage adaptation of the 2006 film about a dysfunctional family’s road trip to a pre-teen beauty pageant, this world premiere opens March 4 at California’s La Jolla Playhouse with music and lyrics by out composer William Finn of Falsettos and Spelling Bee fame. Sondheim collaborator James Lapine is librettist and director, and out performer Malcolm Gets stars as Frank, the gay, suicidal Proust scholar played by Steve Carell in the movie.
9. FILM: Fusion: Los Angeles LGBT People of Color Film Festival
Now in its eighth year, this Outfest offshoot celebrates diversity in LGBT films March 4 and 5 at Hollywood’s Egyptian Theater. The program includes Hooters! The Making of Older, Wiser, Lesbian Cinema, a conversation with Pariah filmmaker Dee Rees, and a sing-along screening of The Wiz. Rikki Beadle-Blair receives the Fusion Achievement Award prior to a screening of his latest film, Fit, a U.K. mash-up of Skins and Glee.
8: All About Aubrey
When former Danity Kane diva Aubrey O’Day’s glossy reality series debuts March 7 on Oxygen, we’ll meet her gay cronies like choreographer Gil Duldulao, hairstylist Cesar Ramirez, and “gay husband” Jasen Kaplan — not to mention Mary Ann, her purple-dyed male dog. Though O’Day still insisted in a recent Advocate interview that she dislikes labels on her sexuality, we’ll also see the singer kissing girls and hitting lesbian clubs.
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- Supreme Court Rebuffs Florida — Marriages to Begin January 6
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: Partner of Sydney Siege Hero Remembers His 'Soulmate'
- Emily Blunt: 'I Want to Be a Gay Icon'