BY Brandon Voss
May 20 2011 4:10 PM ET
4. BOOK: Gulliver Travels, Justin Luke Zirilli
Zirilli’s vibrant and vernal debut novel is the gayest book you’ll see on the beach — or on the back of a club-trash trick’s toilet — this summer. Glittered with familiar nightlife characters you want to pork and punch in the face, this edgy cumming-of-age tale follows the adventures of a PYT named Gulliver, a boozy, boy-crazy New York newbie whose X-rated exploits made this reader both nostalgic and ultimately glad to be all grown up.
3. MUSIC: Between the Spirit & the Flesh, Sir Ari Gold
Available May 24, the latest album from sexy out artist Ari Gold (the “Sir” was bestowed upon him by the Imperial Court of NY for his HIV/AIDS charity work) will make your body work overtime as he worships the electro gods. Highlights of this dark and moody party record include pro-clubbing groove “Out Dancing,” the drag-assisted “If I Steal Your Boyfriend,” and “Sparkle,” a self-empowerment anthem with sassy diva shout-outs.
2. FILM: Spork
Gay filmmaker J.B. Ghuman Jr.’s wonderfully weird feature debut, which opens May 20 in limited release, is shameless tonal mishmash that pays homage to ’80s fashions, ’90s party jams, and beloved teen movie clichés. The terrific Savannah Stehlin stars as young hermaphrodite “Spork,” an awkward misfit and mean-girl magnet who, recalling Dawn in Welcome to the Dollhouse, proves that every problem can be solved with a hot dance-off.
- Religion Archbishop of NY Applauds NFL Hopeful Michael Sam for Coming Out 1 hour 57 min ago
- Love and Sex Sexually Explicit Videos No Longer Allowed on Vine 1:06 PM
- Dance NYC Boylesque Fest Teases Return 6:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 4:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM