In New Rant, Bret Easton Ellis Adds Sexism to His Twitter Cred
BY Lucas Grindley
December 06 2012 4:07 PM ET
The endless train wreck that is Bret Easton Ellis's Twitter feed has run over yet another issue of propriety. This time, the writer is widely being called sexist for attacking director Kathryn Bigelow as overrated because she's a woman and because she's "hot."
"Kathryn Bigelow would be considered a mildly interesting filmmaker if she was a man but since she's a very hot woman she's really overrated," he wrote Wednesday.
Bigelow's work has won six Oscars, including Best Picture for The Hurt Locker, which made Bigelow the first woman in history to win as Best Director. But that seemed to bore Ellis, who is author of Less Than Zero and American Psycho.
"Kathryn Bigelow: Strange Days, K-19 The Widowmaker, Blue Steel, The Hurt Locker. Are we talking about visionary filmmaking or just OK junk?"
For this and other 140-character commentaries, Ellis has earned himself more than 360,000 followers on Twitter. His past work includes saying actor Matt Bomer can't play the lead in the film adaptation of Fifty Shades of Grey because he's openly gay and that he had "suddenly come down with the hivs" after watching Chris Colfer on Glee.
Ellis, who himself is of a vague sexual identity that eschews labeling, most recently created headlines by agreeing with Paris Hilton's contention that gay men are "disgusting" and "most of them probably have AIDS." She apologized; he didn't.
It looks like his latest bout with questionable candor is losing Ellis followers. He lashed out today in response.
"Anyone Unfollowing me should have known better and never Followed me in the first place," he wrote. "Wise up: pussies and snowflakes. Get the F over it."
- Media PHOTOS: Adam Lambert, Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer, Fergie at TrevorLIVE Benefit 1 hour 59 min ago
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback 4:10 PM