In New Rant, Bret Easton Ellis Adds Sexism to His Twitter Cred
BY Lucas Grindley
December 06 2012 4:07 PM ET
The endless train wreck that is Bret Easton Ellis's Twitter feed has run over yet another issue of propriety. This time, the writer is widely being called sexist for attacking director Kathryn Bigelow as overrated because she's a woman and because she's "hot."
"Kathryn Bigelow would be considered a mildly interesting filmmaker if she was a man but since she's a very hot woman she's really overrated," he wrote Wednesday.
Bigelow's work has won six Oscars, including Best Picture for The Hurt Locker, which made Bigelow the first woman in history to win as Best Director. But that seemed to bore Ellis, who is author of Less Than Zero and American Psycho.
"Kathryn Bigelow: Strange Days, K-19 The Widowmaker, Blue Steel, The Hurt Locker. Are we talking about visionary filmmaking or just OK junk?"
For this and other 140-character commentaries, Ellis has earned himself more than 360,000 followers on Twitter. His past work includes saying actor Matt Bomer can't play the lead in the film adaptation of Fifty Shades of Grey because he's openly gay and that he had "suddenly come down with the hivs" after watching Chris Colfer on Glee.
Ellis, who himself is of a vague sexual identity that eschews labeling, most recently created headlines by agreeing with Paris Hilton's contention that gay men are "disgusting" and "most of them probably have AIDS." She apologized; he didn't.
It looks like his latest bout with questionable candor is losing Ellis followers. He lashed out today in response.
"Anyone Unfollowing me should have known better and never Followed me in the first place," he wrote. "Wise up: pussies and snowflakes. Get the F over it."
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith 1 hour 57 min ago
- Women WATCH: Trans Man Has Vagina Pride March 07 2014 7:51 PM
- Hot Sheet Hot Sheet: History Boys March 07 2014 7:25 PM
- Marriage Equality Here's The Most Absurd Thing You Missed in Michigan's Marriage Equality Trial March 07 2014 7:20 PM
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned March 07 2014 6:57 PM
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School March 07 2014 6:55 PM
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? March 07 2014 5:53 PM