Hot Sheet: Road to Paradise
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 01 2013 6:59 PM ET
2. DVD: On the Road
Bringing this boiling, stream-of-consciousness novel to the screen was a risky proposition at best — so many readers of a few generations feel ownership over the novel and its characters. So Brazilian director Walter Salles (The Motorcycle Diaries) had quite a challenge in rendering the bible of the Beat generation. It's faithful in concept, but some have issues with the casting of Sam Riley as Sal Paradise (author Jack Kerouac's alter-ego) and Garrett Hedlund as Dean Moriarty (proto-hipster Neal Cassady's counterpart.) They look more like boys than the men they were portraying. No one can argue that this isn't a beautiful film: the achingly lonely roads opening up to a post-WWII America with Charlie Parker's music setting the pace is spot on. Find it on Amazon.
- Kris Humphries Blames Vague Tweet, Supports Bruce Jenner
- Bruce Jenner: 'I'm A Woman'
- More Events Cancel Over Gay Hotel Owner's Ted Cruz Dinner Party
- Check Out The Enormous Support for Bruce Jenner from Celebs on Twitter
- Op-ed: The White Party and Gay Culture Need More Color
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet