Hot Sheet: Road to Paradise
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 01 2013 5:59 PM ET
2. DVD: On the Road
Bringing this boiling, stream-of-consciousness novel to the screen was a risky proposition at best — so many readers of a few generations feel ownership over the novel and its characters. So Brazilian director Walter Salles (The Motorcycle Diaries) had quite a challenge in rendering the bible of the Beat generation. It's faithful in concept, but some have issues with the casting of Sam Riley as Sal Paradise (author Jack Kerouac's alter-ego) and Garrett Hedlund as Dean Moriarty (proto-hipster Neal Cassady's counterpart.) They look more like boys than the men they were portraying. No one can argue that this isn't a beautiful film: the achingly lonely roads opening up to a post-WWII America with Charlie Parker's music setting the pace is spot on. Find it on Amazon.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- Gay Comic Publisher Undaunted by Apple's iBook Censorship
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View