Always and Forever
BY Advocate Contributors
November 04 2010 1:45 PM ET
What does the word “marriage” mean to you?
Marriage and married couple are open to interpretation. Whenever two people join their lives together in a common purpose and want to spend the rest of their lives together that they’re marrying each other. Whether they have a legal piece of paper to follow it up with or not. The huge political issue here is: is marriage a religious word or is it not. And that’s not a political fight I want to get into because it’s all up to interpretation. I believe that when two people make a commitment to one another, whether the government or the state recognizes it as such, it’s a marriage. And that’s my belief and my feelings about that. They’re married. I’m marrying them. I am the person that is confirming their lives together so that they can move forward with a common focus, one common vision.
What’s your message about marriage and who do you want to reach?
I know a lot of heterosexual couples who have no problem at all with same-sex married couples and then I have heterosexual couples who have real issues about it. And I say to them the same thing I say to anyone: It’s not about you or me, it’s about the love the couple has for one another. How can this be wrong when you stand with a couple that has been with each other for 50 years and finally have the right to make it legal and do so with tears streaming down their faces? They’ve already been married for 50 years. I want the [gay and lesbian people] to know and recognize, understand that there’s absolutely no reason why they can’t make the commitment now or later, and I want the larger community, hopefully, at some point to recognize this.
Once same-sex marriage is legal, what happens with the couples you’ve already wed without documentation?
I’m a notary and can issue marriage licenses. I told the couples that I married, that when it becomes legal, we will produce the document. We will hand it to you and have a celebration. We’ll sign all of the legal work. Of course, it can’t be post-dated. The document will be the day that it actually occurs when the paper is in sight, but nonetheless, I’m committed to doing that.
Watch the CraigslistTV’s “Getting Married” episode below.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity December 04 2013 7:25 PM
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional December 04 2013 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs December 04 2013 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth December 04 2013 3:37 PM