The Godfather of Electro-pop
BY Job Brother
June 20 2008 12:00 AM ET
Is touring with Alison very different than with Andy? Well, the show’s a lot different. I think it’s more serious. I guess it reflects when Alison and I were younger –- we took ourselves more serious than myself and Andy do now.
You have a son, Oscar. How has being a parent impacted your career? Well, it limits the time I can do any actual work, y’know? Most of the programming I did for the Yaz tour was done between 5 and 7:30 [a.m.]. Then it would be “Daddy!” So, y’know, that’ll be the end of programming.
I think a lot of people would be surprised to learn that you’re married with child. Do you find that because of your popularity within gays, you have to frequently come out of the closet as straight? My Mum was surprised, actually. When I phoned her to tell her I’d just gotten married she didn’t believe me. It was a good half-hour conversation of “No, Mum, I really did just get married.”
As a lyricist, do you ever feel like your songs are compromised -- particularly in terms of romance -- by having either a woman or a gay man sing them? No. No. I don’t think it really matters that much. Hopefully it’s poetry. It’s more the feeling of a song, the emotion of a song. If you write about someone being heartbroken...we can all be heartbroken.
Unfortunately, heartbreak is universal. Yes.
In an early incarnation of the band that would become Depeche Mode, you sang vocals. Why did you stop singing? Well, if you heard the record you’d know exactly why. [Laughs]
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Arrest Made in Latest Antigay Attack in NYC 10 min 24 sec ago
- Youth Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business 15 min 1 sec ago
- Youth Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids 31 min 1 sec ago
- Theater See Which Hunk Won the 2013 Broadway Beauty Pageant 34 min 47 sec ago
- Politicians Harvey Milk Day: First Park in Nation Named for Rights Pioneer 47 min 40 sec ago
- Entertainment News Karl Lagerfeld's Cat Has A Better Life Than You 1 hour 21 min ago
- Health News AIDS Deaths Plummet In Africa 1 hour 24 min ago