The Godfather of Electro-pop
BY Job Brother
June 20 2008 12:00 AM ET
Is touring with Alison very different than with Andy? Well, the show’s a lot different. I think it’s more serious. I guess it reflects when Alison and I were younger –- we took ourselves more serious than myself and Andy do now.
You have a son, Oscar. How has being a parent impacted your career? Well, it limits the time I can do any actual work, y’know? Most of the programming I did for the Yaz tour was done between 5 and 7:30 [a.m.]. Then it would be “Daddy!” So, y’know, that’ll be the end of programming.
I think a lot of people would be surprised to learn that you’re married with child. Do you find that because of your popularity within gays, you have to frequently come out of the closet as straight? My Mum was surprised, actually. When I phoned her to tell her I’d just gotten married she didn’t believe me. It was a good half-hour conversation of “No, Mum, I really did just get married.”
As a lyricist, do you ever feel like your songs are compromised -- particularly in terms of romance -- by having either a woman or a gay man sing them? No. No. I don’t think it really matters that much. Hopefully it’s poetry. It’s more the feeling of a song, the emotion of a song. If you write about someone being heartbroken...we can all be heartbroken.
Unfortunately, heartbreak is universal. Yes.
In an early incarnation of the band that would become Depeche Mode, you sang vocals. Why did you stop singing? Well, if you heard the record you’d know exactly why. [Laughs]
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Education Theological School Grads Show Support With Rainbow Tassels May 24 2013 8:55 PM
- Technology Want the Worst? Search for 'Gayest' May 24 2013 8:25 PM
- The End of Bullying WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student May 24 2013 7:58 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt Refuses Plea, Heads to Court Over Same-Sex High School Relationship May 24 2013 7:48 PM
- Politics Ukrainian LGBT Pride Event Blocked May 24 2013 7:32 PM
- Sports MMA Fighter in First Fight Since Revealing Gender Transition May 24 2013 7:00 PM
- Women Op-Ed: Remembering Sakia Gunn: the News Coverage and Homophobic Murder May 24 2013 6:27 PM