Fantasia Barrino to LGBT Bloggers: You Misunderstood
BY Lucas Grindley
December 31 2012 1:55 PM ET
Former American Idol winner Fantasia Barrino says her words were taken out of context by LGBT bloggers who called out a rambling message she posted on Instagram that appeared to condemn marriage equality.
The blogs Good As You and Towleroad wrote about the message, which appears to now have been deleted. "I Rise ABOVE IT ALL!!! THE WORLD IS GONE MAD. KIDS, THE GOVERNMENT, THE church House… Everybody Trying!!!!!!! Its a lot that going on that the Bible speaks about we should Not be doing. Weed legal in some places, Gay Marriage Legal BUT YET IM JUDGED!! Im not doing Nothing for you… My Life!!!!"
It's not perfectly clear what Barrino was reacting to, but she was recently on Instagram in a fight over Antwaun Cook, the married man who she reportedly had an affair with that led to a lawsuit, and that gossip blogs claim led the birth of her son, Dallas.
Barrino said in a new, much more clearly worded post that the bloggers misinterpreted her comments, which she said were intended to condemn judgment in general.
"It has been brought to my attention that something I said was taken out of context," she wrote. "I Fantasia Monique Barrino don't judge anyone because I don't want to be judged. The gay community is one of my largest supporters. I support the gay community as well as they support me. Bloggers please stop misrepresenting the facts."
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- 19 Shows LGBT Viewers Can't Miss This Fall
- Boys Wear Skirts to Class in Protest After School Fines Trans Girl for Wearing Skirt
- Australian Trans Man Fires Back at Clerk Who Publicly 'Embarassed' Him
- Op-ed: They're Trans, They're Hispanic, and They've Changed This World
- WATCH: Supreme and Federal Courts Play Waiting Game on Marriage