Word of the Year: Selfie
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 19 2013 1:19 PM ET
Whether you think they're obnoxious or your Instagram feed is full of them, "selfie" is undoubtedly the buzzword of 2013, but it was backed up by the folks behind the Oxford dictionaries. The editorial director for the Oxford dictionaries says the word was possibly born on an Australian Web forum in 2002, and it started popping up on Flickr in 2004, the Associated Press reports. "Selfie" beat "twerk," "showrooming," and "Bitcoin" as the word of 2013.
As with all thngs cutting edge, RuPaul led the pack, back in the SLR 35mm days of film.
Click though for more LGBT celebrity selfies >>>
- WATCH: Funny or Die Spoofs Kim Davis With Clerks and Recreation
- Westboro Baptist Joins the Anti-Kim Davis Bandwagon But the Reason May Surprise You
- Donald Trump Takes a Day to Get Up to Speed on Kim Davis
- Kim Davis to Appeal Contempt Ruling
- WATCH: Deaf Meets LGBT in New Romantic Series
- Newlywed Photos That Will Make Kim Davis's Head Spin