Word of the Year: Selfie
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 19 2013 12:19 PM ET
Whether you think they're obnoxious or your Instagram feed is full of them, "selfie" is undoubtedly the buzzword of 2013, but it was backed up by the folks behind the Oxford dictionaries. The editorial director for the Oxford dictionaries says the word was possibly born on an Australian Web forum in 2002, and it started popping up on Flickr in 2004, the Associated Press reports. "Selfie" beat "twerk," "showrooming," and "Bitcoin" as the word of 2013.
As with all thngs cutting edge, RuPaul led the pack, back in the SLR 35mm days of film.
Click though for more LGBT celebrity selfies >>>
- WATCH: Obama Bundler, HRC Founder Terry Bean Arrested on Sex Crimes Charges
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Smoke Signals' Gay Actor Turned Doctor Lands New Career-Defining Role
- 6 Bad Signs of a Good Relationship
- These 48 Trans Women and Men Changed the World
- Transgender Pioneer and Stone Butch Blues Author Leslie Feinberg Has Died