Word of the Year: Selfie
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 19 2013 1:19 PM ET
Whether you think they're obnoxious or your Instagram feed is full of them, "selfie" is undoubtedly the buzzword of 2013, but it was backed up by the folks behind the Oxford dictionaries. The editorial director for the Oxford dictionaries says the word was possibly born on an Australian Web forum in 2002, and it started popping up on Flickr in 2004, the Associated Press reports. "Selfie" beat "twerk," "showrooming," and "Bitcoin" as the word of 2013.
As with all thngs cutting edge, RuPaul led the pack, back in the SLR 35mm days of film.
Click though for more LGBT celebrity selfies >>>
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- World Record Bodybuilder Comes Out as Trans
- Brokeback Mountain: The 10th Anniversary of a Gay Classic
- Members of Congress to Antigay Nations' Diplomats: Leave Your Spouse Home
- I Am Jazz: 14, Transgender, and the Star of My Own Docu-series
- 10 Things People Living With HIV Are Sick of Hearing