Word of the Year: Selfie
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 19 2013 1:19 PM ET
Whether you think they're obnoxious or your Instagram feed is full of them, "selfie" is undoubtedly the buzzword of 2013, but it was backed up by the folks behind the Oxford dictionaries. The editorial director for the Oxford dictionaries says the word was possibly born on an Australian Web forum in 2002, and it started popping up on Flickr in 2004, the Associated Press reports. "Selfie" beat "twerk," "showrooming," and "Bitcoin" as the word of 2013.
As with all thngs cutting edge, RuPaul led the pack, back in the SLR 35mm days of film.
Click though for more LGBT celebrity selfies >>>
- Christian Woman Records Herself Losing it Over Marriage Equality, Gets Remixed
- Gay Wedding Advice for Gays and Straights
- Op-ed: What Happened When President Obama Met Two Trans Service Members
- Ted Cruz and the Fallout for Fire Island
- Amber Heard: 'I Don't Want to Have to Deny My Sexuality in Order to Be Me'
- Yet Another Court Tells Bobby Jindal to Issue Marriage Licenses