Survival House 1977
BY Advocate.com Editors
February 26 2011 5:00 AM ET
Survival House 1977 documents with photographs and interviews the unique place Survival House was and some of the people who lived there. The book looks at a segment of the gay population usually ignored, those on the margins without jobs and places to live. As a historical document, it provides a rare look at San Franciscoʼs homeless LGBT culture at the height of the gay influx to the city in the late 1970s.
Survival House was home to a mix of people diverse in ethnicity, age, and background. War veterans, transsexuals, hustlers, runaways, and others all lived together in close quarters in this Victorian house. Social services such as job placement, drug counseling, medical assistance, and housing placement were provided to the residents to help them reenter the community.
The stories told here and the social issues evoked are as relevant today as they were in 1977. Homelessness among LGBT people is still a pressing issue. Survival House was one solution to the problem then and offers insights on it today.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth Disney Exec Named Head of GLSEN Board 23 min 36 sec ago
- Women Transgender High School Senior Skips His Graduation 23 min 47 sec ago
- Books Q&A Quickie: Justin Hernandez, from Gay Stripper to Naked Author 29 min 28 sec ago
- Women Todd Haynes To Direct Blanchett/Wasikowska in Patricia Highsmith Lesbian Potboiler 43 min 50 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Is 'Scared, Overwhelmed' By Potential Felony Sex Abuse Charges 1 hour 11 min ago
- World News Australia's Penny Wong Fights Homophobic Comments 1 hour 32 min ago
- Women Pretty Little Liars Adds Rumer Willis to Roster and Lands Teen Choice Nominations 1 hour 35 min ago