Seeks New Gayby
BY Diane Anderson-Minshall
July 08 2011 4:50 PM ET
Gayby alert! Modern Family, the hit ABC drama with America’s favorite gay family — Mitchell, Cameron, and Baby Lily for you non-MoFams — may be on the lookout for a new tyke to fill Lily’s very pampered booties. The role is currently played by twins Ella and Jaden Hiller, who trade off playing the adopted Vietnamese-American infant.
So far the Hillers’ biggest moments have been modeling a Diana Ross wig in one episode and being held aloft in the spotlight by one of her screen dads, Cameron (played by Eric Stonestreet, pictured), while The Lion King’s “Circle of Life” plays.
Now ABC is spreading the word that it’s looking for an “Asian, 3-to 4-year-old,” according to Entertainment Weekly. “We adore Jaden and Ella, but have started to think that they’d rather be at home playing than working as actors,” executive producer Steve Levitan told EW. “If we end up making a change, it’s only because we want what’s best for them.”
In other words, it’s time for Baby Lily to become toddler Lily and start spouting cute lines a la the Olsen twins of Full House. Levitan told reporters in May that the Hillers may not be doing “what they love” at this point. “Maybe they don’t love to be on a set and have to listen to us do a scene 10 times,” he said. “Maybe they would be happier being kids. We don’t want them to be unhappy. If we feel it’s not in their best interest to stay, we will replace them, and ask that people forgive us for doing so.”
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth Does AIDS in the Endzone Fumble? 2 hours 12 min ago
- Theater Five Decades Remembered At the Flash 10:07 AM
- Film Why is Behind the Candelabra Like Valley of the Dolls? 9:27 AM
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People 6:00 AM
- Youth WATCH: What Happens When Scout Comes Out at Camp 5:00 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay? 4:34 AM
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 4:00 AM