Meet the Networks That Aren't Making the Grade
BY Michelle Garcia
August 03 2011 5:00 AM ET
And now for the good news ...
The CW: The young network — youthful in actual time on the air as well as its audience — has gone from having no LGBT characters in its first year to the most inclusive rating of "excellent," with% of prime-time programming featuring LGBT people. Its most popular shows, including America's Next Top Model, 90210, and Gossip Girl have contributed to its high ratings, but GLAAD foresees possible snags since Teddy, 90210's gay character, will not be a series regular next season.
Fox: Glee is one of television's most LGBT-inclusive shows, especially with characters Kurt and Blaine as well as Santana. Short-lived series like Running Wilde and The Chicago Code featured gay characters. However, one of the network's most popular nights, Sunday's animation block, has been gay-inclusive with The Simpsons, The Cleveland Show, and American Dad as well as trans-inclusive with Bob's Burgers. Family Guy tackled barely any gay issues last season, as it has in the past. GLAAD recommends that while bisexual Angela on Bones did marry her boyfriend, the show's producers need to remember not to completely eradicate the other aspects of her sexual orientation. They also urge the American Idol producers to try featuring an openly gay contestant after the success of NBC's The Voice.
ABC Family: The only cable network to receive an "excellent" rating, ABC Family was initially founded in 1977 as an extension of Pat Robertson's Christian Broadcast Network. Nowadays the channel is nothing like Robertson's network, with a history of gay-inclusive shows like Kyle XY and Greek, which have attracted a young, loyal viewership. Fifty-five percent of the network's prime-time programming was LGBT-inclusive, thanks to shows like The Secret Life of the American Teenager, Huge, and Make It or Break It.
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Politics N.J. Legislature Could Enshrine Marriage Equality into State Law 1 min 7 sec ago
- Religion Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks 34 min 43 sec ago
- Film WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online 37 min 43 sec ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Happy Gay People on Beaches 1 hour 10 min ago
- Media Michelle Malkin Sells Twitter Aggregator to Christian Media Company 1 hour 14 min ago
- Parenting Northern Ireland Lifts Ban on Same-Sex Couples Adopting 1 hour 40 min ago
- Women WATCH: Behold! Tina Fey & Amy Poehler Are Back in First Golden Globes Promo 1 hour 51 min ago