Sherman Hemsley, TV's George Jefferson, Dies
BY Jeremy Kinser
July 24 2012 4:44 PM ET
Actor Sherman Hemsley, who portrayed bigoted George on the long-running sitcom The Jeffersons, has died at age 74, reports People.
Hemsley died at his home in El Paso, Texas, and there are no known survivors. The actor first gained public notice with a guest appearance as Jefferson on Norman Lear's hit All in the Family. Reaction was so strong that Lear developed a spin-off around the character, which would premiere to huge ratings in 1975.
While there was no official confirmation during his lifetime, there was frequent speculation that Hemsley was a gay man. A 2007 VH1 story that listed three favorite allegedly gay black actors from the past put Hemsley in the top spot. The story also references a frequent but unsubstantiated rumor that Hemsley's sexual orientation led to problems on the set with Jeffersons costar Isabelle Sanford.
Besides his career-defining role as George Jefferson in the comedy which ran for eleven seasons on CBS, Hemsley was an accomplished theater actor. He appeared on Broadway in the musical Purlie, starred in numerous television commercials, and co-starred on another hit sitcom Amen from 1986-91.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Says Pat Robertson
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher 1 hour 44 min ago
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts 2 hours 14 min ago
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson 6:03 PM
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 4:20 PM