Sherman Hemsley, TV's George Jefferson, Dies
BY Jeremy Kinser
July 24 2012 5:44 PM ET
Actor Sherman Hemsley, who portrayed bigoted George on the long-running sitcom The Jeffersons, has died at age 74, reports People.
Hemsley died at his home in El Paso, Texas, and there are no known survivors. The actor first gained public notice with a guest appearance as Jefferson on Norman Lear's hit All in the Family. Reaction was so strong that Lear developed a spin-off around the character, which would premiere to huge ratings in 1975.
While there was no official confirmation during his lifetime, there was frequent speculation that Hemsley was a gay man. A 2007 VH1 story that listed three favorite allegedly gay black actors from the past put Hemsley in the top spot. The story also references a frequent but unsubstantiated rumor that Hemsley's sexual orientation led to problems on the set with Jeffersons costar Isabelle Sanford.
Besides his career-defining role as George Jefferson in the comedy which ran for eleven seasons on CBS, Hemsley was an accomplished theater actor. He appeared on Broadway in the musical Purlie, starred in numerous television commercials, and co-starred on another hit sitcom Amen from 1986-91.
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM