Days of Our Lives' Melissa Reeves Tweets Support for Chick-fil-A
BY Trudy Ring
August 03 2012 7:33 PM ET
Days of Our Lives may have a popular gay storyline, but it also has a star tweeting support for antigay company Chick-fil-A.
Melissa Reeves, who plays Jennifer Rose Horton Deveraux, aunt of gay character Will Horton, tweeted that she participated in the Chick-fil-A Appreciation day Wednesday, website Daytime Confidential reports. Her message was “Chick-fil-A today!!!! Loved every bite of it;)!! Land of the free and home of the brave. Love that we all appreciate free speech, right?”
Actually, the message that got somewhat lost in the Chick-fil-A controversy is not that company president Dan Cathy shouldn’t be able to state his opposition to marriage equality, but that the company is funding antigay organizations that have been designated “hate groups” — and LGBT people and their allies don’t want to be funneling money to them. A Daytime Confidential blogger makes this point, writing, “I guess Reeves sees absolutely nothing wrong with the chain working so hard to deny 10 percent of the population their civil rights.”
The soap opera has received praise for the coming-out story of Will, played by Chandler Massey. Visit Advocate.com next week for an interview with Freddie Smith, who plays Sonny, Will’s boyfriend.
- Couple Indicted Over Torture Death of 8-Year-Old They Thought Was Gay
- Michelle Duggar Gets Verdict In Her Quest Against LGBT Ordinance in Ark.
- Artist Spotlight: Kent Monkman
- Hot Sheet: They Are Risen
- Federal Judge Rules Florida's Same-Sex Marriage Ban Unconstitutional
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Schools Gayle King on Respect for Gender Identity