Days of Our Lives' Melissa Reeves Tweets Support for Chick-fil-A
BY Trudy Ring
August 03 2012 6:33 PM ET
Days of Our Lives may have a popular gay storyline, but it also has a star tweeting support for antigay company Chick-fil-A.
Melissa Reeves, who plays Jennifer Rose Horton Deveraux, aunt of gay character Will Horton, tweeted that she participated in the Chick-fil-A Appreciation day Wednesday, website Daytime Confidential reports. Her message was “Chick-fil-A today!!!! Loved every bite of it;)!! Land of the free and home of the brave. Love that we all appreciate free speech, right?”
Actually, the message that got somewhat lost in the Chick-fil-A controversy is not that company president Dan Cathy shouldn’t be able to state his opposition to marriage equality, but that the company is funding antigay organizations that have been designated “hate groups” — and LGBT people and their allies don’t want to be funneling money to them. A Daytime Confidential blogger makes this point, writing, “I guess Reeves sees absolutely nothing wrong with the chain working so hard to deny 10 percent of the population their civil rights.”
The soap opera has received praise for the coming-out story of Will, played by Chandler Massey. Visit Advocate.com next week for an interview with Freddie Smith, who plays Sonny, Will’s boyfriend.
- Theater Late Gay TV Star's Play Eyes Broadway 47 min 16 sec ago
- Commentary Why Is the St Patrick's Day Parade So Important to LGBT Activists? 47 min 34 sec ago
- Comedy WATCH: Jeffrey: The Series Episode 7, ‘Velvet Rope’ 49 min 51 sec ago
- Religion Meet the Controversial Spiritual Adviser to Trans People 2 hours 10 min ago
- Women 9 Inspiring Women Backing LGBT Rights Around the World 2 hours 32 min ago
- Marriage Equality Where Can You Get Married in Illinois? 2 hours 41 min ago
- HIV & AIDS HIV 101: Can I Get HIV if I’m a Top? 2 hours 50 min ago