Are Nature Docs Glossing Over Homosexuality?
BY Michelle Garcia
February 19 2013 3:25 PM ET
A scholar in the U.K. is taking aim at the BBC for its nature documentaries which he says tend to exclude or gloss over animals that engage in same-sex intimacy and mating.
Dr. Brett Mills of University of East Anglia wrote in a journal article, that shots of male chimpanzees cuddling are being described as bonding, but the chimps could also be cuddling, driven by sexual desires, according to the Telegraph. Another scene showed a male buff-breasted sandpiper approaching another male in a way that may be seen as intimidation, but Mills said it could also be to initiate mounting.
Mills's article published in the European Journal of Cultural Studies evaluates how educational media explains away homosexual behavior in animals. He evaluated BBC documentaries including Life in the Freezer (1993), The Life of Birds (1998) and The Life of Mammals (2003). Mills also wrote that the documentaries too often portray the animals in human-like contexts of family, even though the family construct does not apply to all types of animals.
"The central role in documentary stories of pairing, mating, and raising offspring commonly rests on assumptions of heterosexuality within the animal kingdom," Mills wrote.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 1 hour 37 min ago
- Coming Out WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video 2 hours 28 sec ago
- People Photo of the Day: DLB and Tom Daley Share a Moment in Houston 2 hours 7 min ago
- Marriage Equality Australia Re-Bans Same-Sex Marriage 2 hours 16 min ago
- Entertainment News Damien Lewis vs. Ian McKellen: Homeland Actor Apologizes 2 hours 18 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 2 hours 26 min ago
- Internet Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay 2:44 PM