Spice Girls "Reunite" for Stage Musical Written by Jennifer Saunders
BY Michelle Garcia
June 26 2012 12:04 PM ET
Sixteen years after releasing their hit song "Wannabe," the Spice Girls announced the launch of a musical in London this fall.
Viva Forever will feature the story of Emma Bunton, Melanie Chishol, Melanie Brown, Victoria Beckham, and Geri Halliwell. The musical is about members of a band whose friendship is tested when they enter a TV talent show and find overnight fame. The show will feature several of their own hits, including "Two Become One" and "Spice Up Your Life." The group made the announcement at the St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel, where they shot their video for "Wannabe" in 1996.
The musical was written by comic and Absolutely Fabulous star Jennifer Saunders, according to the Agence France-Presse. Judy Craymer, who was behind the stage and film versions of Mamma Mia! will also produce Viva Forever.
UPDATE: The initial source claimed the group would star in the stage musical, but that does not seem to be correct.
- Where in the World Are the Happiest Gay Men?
- #TBT: Selling the Male Body
- North Carolina Governor to Veto Antigay Measure
- WATCH: Alabama Jails, Fines Minister After Performing Lesbian Wedding
- Alabama's Antigay Chief Justice Scolds Ruth Bader Ginsburg on 'Judicial Ethics'
- Poised for Perfection: Sgt. Shane Ortega Puts a Face to the Transgender Military Ban