Spice Girls "Reunite" for Stage Musical Written by Jennifer Saunders
BY Michelle Garcia
June 26 2012 11:04 AM ET
Sixteen years after releasing their hit song "Wannabe," the Spice Girls announced the launch of a musical in London this fall.
Viva Forever will feature the story of Emma Bunton, Melanie Chishol, Melanie Brown, Victoria Beckham, and Geri Halliwell. The musical is about members of a band whose friendship is tested when they enter a TV talent show and find overnight fame. The show will feature several of their own hits, including "Two Become One" and "Spice Up Your Life." The group made the announcement at the St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel, where they shot their video for "Wannabe" in 1996.
The musical was written by comic and Absolutely Fabulous star Jennifer Saunders, according to the Agence France-Presse. Judy Craymer, who was behind the stage and film versions of Mamma Mia! will also produce Viva Forever.
UPDATE: The initial source claimed the group would star in the stage musical, but that does not seem to be correct.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- 5 James Baldwin Quotes That Foreshadowed Ferguson
- Op-ed: How Gay Genius Alan Turing Got Me Through Middle School
- Another Lap for Michael Phelps’s Self-Proclaimed Girlfriend
- Art on the Edge in a Warm Climate
- Texas AG: Same-Sex Couples' Request to Marry 'Untimely, Out of Order'