Spice Girls "Reunite" for Stage Musical Written by Jennifer Saunders
BY Michelle Garcia
June 26 2012 11:04 AM ET
Sixteen years after releasing their hit song "Wannabe," the Spice Girls announced the launch of a musical in London this fall.
Viva Forever will feature the story of Emma Bunton, Melanie Chishol, Melanie Brown, Victoria Beckham, and Geri Halliwell. The musical is about members of a band whose friendship is tested when they enter a TV talent show and find overnight fame. The show will feature several of their own hits, including "Two Become One" and "Spice Up Your Life." The group made the announcement at the St. Pancras Renaissance Hotel, where they shot their video for "Wannabe" in 1996.
The musical was written by comic and Absolutely Fabulous star Jennifer Saunders, according to the Agence France-Presse. Judy Craymer, who was behind the stage and film versions of Mamma Mia! will also produce Viva Forever.
UPDATE: The initial source claimed the group would star in the stage musical, but that does not seem to be correct.
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Support Their Kid Wearing Suits
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Did Nickelodeon Just Confirm Legend of Korra Same-Sex Romance?
- This Year's Coolest Straight People in Entertainment
- WATCH: Laverne Cox Caught in Middle of Screaming Match on The View
- Freddy Krave Is His Own Best Model