WATCH: A Hedwig Star's FTM Transformation
BY Brandon Voss
July 28 2014 1:54 PM ET
Neil Patrick Harris isn't the only one rocking drag in the Tony Award-winning musical Hedwig and the Angry Inch. Playbill.com recently visited Lena Hall's dressing room to film her transformation into a male character, from the bushy brows right down to the fake package.
Harris won the Tony for Best Actor in a Musical for his role as Hedwig, a fictional East German singer and "slip of a girly boy" living as a female after botched gender-reassignment surgery. Hall also earned a Tony for Best Featured Actress in a Musical as Yitzhak, Hedwig's husband and backup singer, who's desperate to unleash his inner drag diva.
The Broadway premiere of John Cameron Mitchell and Stephen Trask's 1998 cult rock musical, which won the Tony for Best Revival of a Musical, opened April 22 at the Belasco Theatre and recently recouped its investment. The original cast recording is now available.
See Hall's remarkable physical transformation in the video below.
- Op-ed: Be a Lady, Not a Tramp
- Michael Sam Released From Dallas Cowboys, Vows to Fight for Opportunity to 'Play Every Sunday'
- Last-Minute Gift Ideas for the Catholic Who Suddenly Wants to Be Friends
- Playwright Responds to N.C. High School That Canceled Play Due to Gay Scene
- Shonda Rhimes to Antigay Viewer: 'Bye Felicia'
- Analysis: Nope, Same-Sex Marriage Doesn't Dissuade Straight People from Getting Married