See Why Jane Lynch Is Boycotting Amway
BY Lucas Grindley
October 11 2012 12:42 PM ET
Out actress and comedian Jane Lynch is boycotting Amway in response to the company president's antigay donations.
Activist Fred Karger has been warning that Amway is the new Chick-fil-A and launched BoycottAmway.com. Doug DeVos is the health and beauty company's co-owner and tax records show he and his wife recently gave $500,000 to the antigay National Organization for Marriage.
Lynch "grabbed the pen out of my hand and signed away," said Karger, the founder of Rights Equal Rights, according to MLive. The site posted a photo of the signed postcard to the DeVos family. Lynch's support could add a spark to Karger's online petition with a similar message to Amway: "Stop donating to anti gay marriage organizations like NOM!"
The company has responded by calling the DeVos donations part of their role as "private citizens." Karger agrees they have a right to free speech, and "so do we."
The DeVos family and Amway have several affiliated companies, including brands like Nutrilite vitamins and Laura Mercier cosmetics, even the Orlando Magic NBA basketball team.
- 6 Bad Signs of a Good Relationship
- PHOTOS: Jesus Days
- Transgender Pioneer and Stone Butch Blues Author Leslie Feinberg Has Died
- Is Winnie the Pooh Transgender or Intersex?
- Lesbian Couple Worries Antigay Slur on Google Maps is a Hate Crime
- 90,000-Plus and Counting: Petition to Cancel Duggars' Show Gains Momentum