See Why Jane Lynch Is Boycotting Amway
BY Lucas Grindley
October 11 2012 1:42 PM ET
Out actress and comedian Jane Lynch is boycotting Amway in response to the company president's antigay donations.
Activist Fred Karger has been warning that Amway is the new Chick-fil-A and launched BoycottAmway.com. Doug DeVos is the health and beauty company's co-owner and tax records show he and his wife recently gave $500,000 to the antigay National Organization for Marriage.
Lynch "grabbed the pen out of my hand and signed away," said Karger, the founder of Rights Equal Rights, according to MLive. The site posted a photo of the signed postcard to the DeVos family. Lynch's support could add a spark to Karger's online petition with a similar message to Amway: "Stop donating to anti gay marriage organizations like NOM!"
The company has responded by calling the DeVos donations part of their role as "private citizens." Karger agrees they have a right to free speech, and "so do we."
The DeVos family and Amway have several affiliated companies, including brands like Nutrilite vitamins and Laura Mercier cosmetics, even the Orlando Magic NBA basketball team.
- 52 LGBT Superheroes and Villains
- The Top 175 Essential Films of All Time for LGBT Viewers
- Op-ed: I'm a Lesbian Targeted by the Bathroom Police
- Gov. Sam Brownback: Kansas Can't Penalize Religious Groups Opposed to Marriage Equality
- The Advocate's 31 Favorite Films of Outfest 2015
- Suicides, Antigay Accusations Sully Elite San Diego School