See Why Jane Lynch Is Boycotting Amway
BY Lucas Grindley
October 11 2012 1:42 PM ET
Out actress and comedian Jane Lynch is boycotting Amway in response to the company president's antigay donations.
Activist Fred Karger has been warning that Amway is the new Chick-fil-A and launched BoycottAmway.com. Doug DeVos is the health and beauty company's co-owner and tax records show he and his wife recently gave $500,000 to the antigay National Organization for Marriage.
Lynch "grabbed the pen out of my hand and signed away," said Karger, the founder of Rights Equal Rights, according to MLive. The site posted a photo of the signed postcard to the DeVos family. Lynch's support could add a spark to Karger's online petition with a similar message to Amway: "Stop donating to anti gay marriage organizations like NOM!"
The company has responded by calling the DeVos donations part of their role as "private citizens." Karger agrees they have a right to free speech, and "so do we."
The DeVos family and Amway have several affiliated companies, including brands like Nutrilite vitamins and Laura Mercier cosmetics, even the Orlando Magic NBA basketball team.
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
- Editor's Letter: Why One Couple's Story Should Worry You
- The Small Southwestern Town That Went Rogue
- Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship
- 25 Rare Photos of Jinkx Monsoon Before "Drag Superstardom"
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Minnesota Antibullying Bill Dies in Senate 29 min 23 sec ago
- Music Q&A Quickie: Colton Ford on Sex, New Music, and The Lair 1 hour 30 min ago
- Marriage Equality Minneapolis Church Celebrates Marriage Equality with Rainbow Communion Bread 1 hour 40 min ago
- Commentary Can Marc Carson's Murder Have as Much Impact as Matthew Shepard's? 9:09 AM
- Music The Comeback: ABBA's Agnetha Fältskog 8:49 AM
- Travel 10 of Europe's Gayest Beaches 7:33 AM
- Current Issue The South's Longer Wait for Equality 4:00 AM