See Why Jane Lynch Is Boycotting Amway
BY Lucas Grindley
October 11 2012 1:42 PM ET
Out actress and comedian Jane Lynch is boycotting Amway in response to the company president's antigay donations.
Activist Fred Karger has been warning that Amway is the new Chick-fil-A and launched BoycottAmway.com. Doug DeVos is the health and beauty company's co-owner and tax records show he and his wife recently gave $500,000 to the antigay National Organization for Marriage.
Lynch "grabbed the pen out of my hand and signed away," said Karger, the founder of Rights Equal Rights, according to MLive. The site posted a photo of the signed postcard to the DeVos family. Lynch's support could add a spark to Karger's online petition with a similar message to Amway: "Stop donating to anti gay marriage organizations like NOM!"
The company has responded by calling the DeVos donations part of their role as "private citizens." Karger agrees they have a right to free speech, and "so do we."
The DeVos family and Amway have several affiliated companies, including brands like Nutrilite vitamins and Laura Mercier cosmetics, even the Orlando Magic NBA basketball team.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Print Issue The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender 6:01 AM
- Current Issue Editor’s Letter: April/May Issue 5:01 AM
- Parenting Is Mr. Peabody & Sherman About Adoption by Gays? 4:00 AM
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM