BY Advocate.com Editors
November 05 2008 1:00 AM ET
How’s this as a recipe for recession? Start with a handful of Wall Street titans falling (requiring a $700 billion bailout by the government) and U.S. companies slashing jobs and downgrading financial forecasts. Add rising house foreclosures, tepid retail sales, and a complete lack of consumer confidence. Finish with a global credit crunch and topsy-turvy stock markets, and presto!
Americans from every walk of life and each corner of the country are bracing for what economists are predicting could be a deep, protracted recession. On the following pages we bring you eight of them, who span different tax brackets but share a common anxiety about economic forces that seem beyond their control.
Carol Popovich | 56 | Automobile Parts Designer | DetroitMarvin Reguindin | 51 | Marketing Executive | Spokane, Wash.Larry Ortiz | 38 | Retailer | New York CityDan Jinks | 45 | Film producer | Los AngelesGabriel Silverstein | 34 | Commercial Investment Real Estate Broker | Chicago"Jane" | 22 | Dominatrix | San FranciscoCarter Wentworth | 57 | Graphic Designer| Wells, Maine
- Artist Spotlight: Roberta Marrero
- The 50 Most Influential LGBT People in Media
- Gay Artists & Artwork From Around the Globe | Artist Spotlight
- PHOTOS: Meet the First Trans Man to Win a Gay Games Gold in Powerlifting
- The A-List Interview: David Walton
- LGBT People Are Driving an Upheaval in Video Games